Hygroma on the Knee

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Hygroma on the Knee

Postby skywatcher » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:54 pm

has anyone had any experience with treating this.

My situation: I took in a 12 yr old TB with a large Hygroma on his knee, I was told this was the result of a kick to the knee a little over a year ago, however an old picture of him from 2005 I was able to track down on the internet shows that he had a wonky looking knee back then (though no huge lump) One race chart from 2002 I tracked down said he finished the race lame, so its possible this is the end result of a chronic issue

This isn't a "I don't want to spend money on he vet so I'm asking the internet DR's to fix my horse" email, LOL . My vet has been consulted. Since the injury is already old, and there is no heat or pain we are waiting until spring and warmer weather to work on it.

I am looking for any stories of similar injuries & recovery (hopefully successful!) since there are a coupe of possibilities for treatment here.

I'm not worried about him becoming sound for riding...just making sure he is as comfortable as possible.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:56 am

photo would help but guessing once the injury calcifies or keratinizes (depends on location) he's stuck with it. if there's pain is it possible the knee issue originates other than in the bump? or, is this just fluid build up? if so,those will disappear over time by my experience.

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Postby skywatcher » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 am

thanks

this is the knee now

I tracked down a picture of the horse from 2004/2005 and while the hygroma isn't there, the knee looks pretty bad. I also found a chart from 2002 where he left the track lame after the race, so I'm reasonably certain there is a lot more going on than just a kick

He doesn't show any indication he is in pain. The build up has blocked a lot of the flexibility in the knee. But, when we gave him a good dose of bute the night I got him home, it didn't change how he was able to move. There is a noticable limp at the walk and trot. He quite happily canters and shows off in his paddock when a mare comes into his line of sight

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Any recent x-rays?Could have been a slab fracture that was fixed or not but calcium deposits kind of made it rigid or some chips that were also kind of surrounded by calcium...He probably is not lame by pain but sort of mechanically,less flexibility ...
I personaly would xray to "know" but it is, i would guess arthosis
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Postby skywatcher » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:15 pm

my vets xray wont work out at my place...the electricity draw isnt strong enough so all you get is a white blur..we have to take him in

Given the bad road conditions out here right now and the fact that h'e had this injury for at least a year, maybe even two...we are going to hold off until it warms up. I don't want him in a trailer on icy roads. Once we get him to her place we are going to x-ray and whatever surgery he needs all at one shot.
He's pretty underweight too and needs to fatten up as well.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:01 pm

the photo shows a lot of abnormality. does seem a vet Q at this point whether the horse would be in any pain or discomfort, or whether anything can be done in terms of the knee that is cost affordable. would guess if the knee is without heat that, other than normal unavoidable arthritic complaints, that the horse has grown used to the condition. if you want, anti-inflammatory diet supplements would help, especially in cold and humid conditions--5 loxin, glucasomine and Omega 3-6-9 combos given in combo dramatically improve arthritis pain and condition. You'd throw human quality vitamins into the feed. they'll eat.

skywatcher
Maiden Special Weight

Postby skywatcher » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:29 pm

ratherrapid wrote:the photo shows a lot of abnormality. does seem a vet Q at this point whether the horse would be in any pain or discomfort, or whether anything can be done in terms of the knee that is cost affordable. would guess if the knee is without heat that, other than normal unavoidable arthritic complaints, that the horse has grown used to the condition. if you want, anti-inflammatory diet supplements would help, especially in cold and humid conditions--5 loxin, glucasomine and Omega 3-6-9 combos given in combo dramatically improve arthritis pain and condition. You'd throw human quality vitamins into the feed. they'll eat.

thanks...we put him on some glucosamine the day we got him home and the vet agrees with this course of action for a start also..I'm not familiar with the 5 loxin though..will look into that

cng
Allowance Winner

Postby cng » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Hygromas are tissue, not bone. While they look much worse than they are, they can be nasty to remove and heal on the knee. They are common in dogs on the elbow also on cows.

It is an injury that is not painful but renders a horse useless. They can rupture on their own creating an emergency. It will be expensive to remove without a very good prognosis for having a useful animal afterward.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:55 pm

I have to agree with CNG on this one. In my experience horses with knees like this are limited to pasture pet status and often as they get older the knee begins to give them problems even when turned out only. All the best.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:27 pm

Hygroma of the knee

The hygroma is a swelling of various sizes in the front of the knee and the synovitis is a swelling at the upper area of the knee and slightly above the knee. Both are caused by trauma, but neither causes lameness. X rays are needed to rule out fractures.

Treatment requires draining the swelling--the drain should be in place for about a week--coupled with a mild pressure bandage. Prognosis is good to excellent.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse- ... on-up.aspx

cng
Allowance Winner

Postby cng » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:22 am

Shammy Davis wrote:Hygroma of the knee

The hygroma is a swelling of various sizes in the front of the knee and the synovitis is a swelling at the upper area of the knee and slightly above the knee. Both are caused by trauma, but neither causes lameness. X rays are needed to rule out fractures.

Treatment requires draining the swelling--the drain should be in place for about a week--coupled with a mild pressure bandage. Prognosis is good to excellent.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse- ... on-up.aspx

True, you can drain hygromas, but they most always come back and infection is common. The good to excellent prognosis would be from a veterinarian’s financial standpoint.