Blood test

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Blood test

Postby karenkarenn » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 pm

cng
Allowance Winner

Re: Blood test

Postby cng » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:37 am

karenkarenn wrote:http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/60505/blood-test-to-detect-and-monitor-pregnancy-in-mares

Has anyone tried this test?
K

Why? An ultrasound can confirm pregnancy in 14 days. A MIP test has been around for years and can be performed in 30 days. Why would anyone want to wait 70 days to confirm pregnancy? By that time it would be too late to rebreed any way.

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:52 am

I can see how this test could be useful for a mare that was already confirmed as pregnant, but you aren't so sure about whether she is still carrying a foal.

Would I use it? Probably not. An ultrasound is pretty accurate, and most importantly it will show you the presence of twins.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:02 pm

As the article states it most likely would be used to determine if the foal was stressed and at risk. It's a $25 test. Anyone with a mare who has aborted previously might consider using this test.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:37 pm

a $25 test PLUS the farm visit unless you transport the horse to the VET.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:00 pm

Griff
Is that your experience with the blood test?
K

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Griff I'm surprised you don't do your own blood draws.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:34 pm

I'm comfortable yanking blood. I do this kind of thing - in the past have used Rocky Mountain Labs.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:21 pm

I think it would be prudent to make a call to IDAHO. But I haven't had the time
Karen

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Madelyn,
Excellent! Drawing blood is a skill performed by a tech, big difference from a skill requiring a DVM license. Do you need a DVM to give the order to the lab or will the lab run specimens by self referral since it would be a cash pay?
This one little test might be something someone in your area could start a service with. The lab charges $25 to run each specimen. You don't need to be a vet to yank blood so you only provide this one service and maybe charge $10 to collect it and drop a batch off to be run and then email results after they are provided to you. You get clients by going to the farms in your area and speaking to mgrs. Anyone who had a mare that had previously aborted would not mind spending even $35 once a month so you get repeat business. The client doesn't have to pay for farm vet call and yet when a result it lower than normal they call the vet who starts treatment. Putting mares on regumate prophylactically is already done and is expensive. If you knew this test could save you $$$ in delaying treatment until is it needed you'd do it. Question is would one be happy making ~ $20 hr [30 minutes per mare?] find her, collect the specimen etc. It might take awhile to have several mares lined up at a farm and do them on the same day etc. I suspect the farms without a vet on staff might use this service. You would be performing the service, acting as a courier and communicating results. Those acts would require car, phone,computer,internet service provider and insurance......all good deductions. I assume the lab would provide all necessary specimen vials and materials as part of their $25 fee?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:24 pm

RML provides plastic vials, and want the blood frozen prior to shipment. Don't have to be a vet; send payment with the blood.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....