Help With Putting Weight On Aged Horse

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:42 pm

You might want to look at BOSS Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.

mightyhijames
Starters Handicap

Postby mightyhijames » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:42 pm

Shammy Davis wrote:If you are in fact buying the pressed shredded beet pulp in the bag, I loved to know your source. Hope this helps.

hi shammy, i bought my first bag of shredded beet pulp w/molassas on saturday; it looks like dry oatmeal. anyway, i get my feed at r&d cross in upper marlboro, md, if that helps at all. thanks for your input.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:03 pm

So did your horse like the beet pulp?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:09 am

Here is an update on THE OLD BARREL HORSE. He is doing great, kept the alfalfa, added probios to the grain, and he placed 2nd out of 90+ runs last week. His owner is leading at this time for the year end award and the SADDLE. They have one more run for the saddle, and he is running this weekend. She also has him on a supplement called Next Level, I believe. He is a tiger right now.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:38 am

He made two runs this Sunday and won both. There weren't a lot of racers as they had a race on Saturday 100 miles away. It drew some off from this one. He still pulled in over $500....She has also had some accuscope treatments on him. They really helped. He feels good.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Great.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:54 pm

DO NOT feed beet pulp unless you want them to be diabetic. Yes it will get them fat, and that is the quickest way to being diabetic!! No offense PLEASE, but most people that are diabetic are over weight. Beet pulp is 100% SUGAR!!!

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:50 am

oleos93 wrote:DO NOT feed beet pulp unless you want them to be diabetic. Yes it will get them fat, and that is the quickest way to being diabetic!! No offense PLEASE, but most people that are diabetic are over weight. Beet pulp is 100% SUGAR!!!

Oleos, whoever told you beet pulp is 100% sugar is mistaken.

Beet pulp is the leftover long fibre AFTER the sugar and liquid are extracted from sugar beets. It's analogous to, but by no means identical to, the matter left behind from brewing beer after the sugar has been extracted.

It is used for helping thin horses gain weight faster than grass or hay will, not because of sugar, but because the fiber in beet pulp is more digestible than long-stem hay.

Some informational links:

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/beetpulp.shtml

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/article/what-beet-pulp

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Update, he placed first out of 90 entrants, last week. Had a faster 2nd run than the first. He is getting a couple of weeks off. Had a little snotty nose. Told her to give him some intra nasal flu vaccine, as he is up on the 5 way. I thought she had already done the intra nasal, but she hadn't. Gave himn a selenium shot too, as we are so deficient here. He hadn't had one for a year. He feels good.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Kathy thats amazing - first out of 90 entrants, WOW!

Congratulations - its obvious he is getting great care.
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:51 pm

These old boys just keep chugging. Up until a couple of years ago, when he turned 28, I think Basket Weave could have won a 6f race or two. He's slowed up a little this year, taking a nap a couple of times a day now when it is sunny. Right now, he is eyeballing the girls next door. showing his stuff. He's 30 now, but he won't admit it. :roll:
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:38 pm

They still have 50 to go, but it looks like the old boy is going to place in the top 10 out of 380 horses today. Fabulous run, and he still had some in the tank. He feels good, should do better tomorrow.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses