Tips for using a chifney bit please

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Tips for using a chifney bit please

Postby oliverstoned » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 pm

I have a yearling who has always been a bit of a pain in the butt inspite of daily handling. When leading he always trys to bite the leadrope or nip at me and acts pretty much like a stallion. Today I wanted to get him used to walking around the whole property in early preparation for the sales prep he'll be going through in a few months. So were heading up the drive (where we never walked before) and he starts acting up pretty bad and I lost my temper and he ends up rearing and striking out. I tried my best after that and kind of ended on a good note. I used to work (20+yrs ago) on large breeding farms and handled some bad stallions using chain over nose or thru mouth method but can't remember using anything but a rope on ones his age. If you think chifney is the way to go please could you give me some detailed instructions, what can go wrong how to avoid problems etc......anyone?

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:42 am

Not many good links on the subject. I've used the CB only a couple of times. With one yearling it worked well. With the other, it was a disaster. My short temper probably didn't help with second one. The CB is a severe bit so light handedness and patience is imperative. I thought this link was the best characterization of its use. Apparently, Aiden O'Brien uses the CB as reported also in this link.

http://www.sportscomet.com/Horse-Racing/150606.htm
Last edited by Shammy Davis on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 am

If he is going to "the sales" he will need experience with a chifney bit anyhow. For the bit to be right, the HALTER has to be right - not loose, with the nose at the right height for the chifney to be in the right position in the mouth once it is clipped to the halter. If your halter can fit one, a browband on the halter actually helps make the halter more stable for the chifney. They make chifney snaps specifically for attaching the bit to the halter, and the flat part goes in the mouth with the ring around the jaw. There are three rings, which clip to corresponding hardware on the halter - two on the side and one on the bottom. Your shank then goes through the two rings on the bottom (halter and chifney) and gets doubled (wrapping it on itself works really well) and snapped to the end ring where the leather starts. By shortening the chain in this manner, you can hold the leather and still not be too far from the point of attachment.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 pm

I've used chiffney's a lot...on babies for sales prepping, and older horses who needed some "help". What I found worked best, was I had a leather strap added to the bit rings with a buckle, just like a halter, only it only went over the head behind the ears. I hated the way the chiffney fit the mouth and moved around clipped to the halter and found them really hard to adjust properly, so the strap made it a lot more stable, and functional. I could clip the lead rein to the bit only for toughies, the halter ring only on the softies, run a chain over the nose and use both the chain and chiffney for the real thick ones (had a couple colts who needed that). Also, when showing horses to viewers, it was quicker to just go throw the strap over the head and clip on the lead rein than to mess around with the snaps and clips and halter etc...I never had any issues with the babies taking the chiffney, always started them with it clipped in while they were in the stall, while I was grooming and handling and eventually leading etc, but I also always taught my yearlings to bridle and lunge with side reins and surcingle, so they were fairly respectful of the bit anyways.
I have had to use various tools such as chiffneys, nose chains, and lip chains on several young, boisterous and cocky colts (and a few rather naughty fillies also), and have learned that the tools are only as effective as the handler. You can ruin a baby by being too rough, and you can also create a montser by not dealing with issues while they are young.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

oliverstoned
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby oliverstoned » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:51 am

Thank you all very much for taking the time to respond to me. I will be ordering one online so it'll be awhile before I can try. I think part of my problem has been I've been working alone, so as I lead him he doesn't know where his pony friend is. I've enlisted some help so we can make a pony yearling procession in the future.