calming supplement

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

calming supplement

Postby drewsbadboy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:25 pm

Does anyone know of any calming supplement for a very nervous horse? I have a new mare that is extremely nervous. I'm hoping she'll settle down after she gets turned out. I have her next to a very quiet gelding and they can socialize through the bars. Just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck with Quietex or any other safe, calming supplement.

Maureen
Allowance Winner

Postby Maureen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:06 pm

I use Vit B1-Thiamine- as a calming agent. Have my daughter's riding mare on it, and have just started the 3 y.o. race gelding on it, now that he has gone back into training.

It has done wonders for the mare-chestnut TB-we'll have to see if it has any effect on the gelding.

drewsbadboy
Maiden Special Weight

Postby drewsbadboy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks so much Maureen! I think I will give that a try. I have a couple of horses that may benefit from that. :D

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Salt Peder, bee pollen or raspberry leaves are all options for hot mares. You can buy powdered tryptophan also that works very well. Vallium tablets, or ace tablets, a half or 1/4 tablet 30 mins before training works well. Not sure if you can get the vallium here though, we used it in new zealand and australia.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Drew - another thing you can look into to settle down your mare may be to check the protein level in her grain and the type of hay she is getting. Sometimes if the protein is too high or the hay has too much alf. in it, that causes them to be a tad too hyper so you might need to reduce that while they are in the stall for an extended amount of time.

My weanling filly was a stress-monster last year and if I just took her out of the stall and hand walked her periodically throughout the day when she was in for prepping, that helped alot. It was a pain in the rear but it did help.

Good luck.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett