Everybody Is Chewing Wood

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

Everybody Is Chewing Wood

Postby LKR » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:58 am

All of a sudden I am having a problem with wood chewing here. It's not limited to one group, every area has somebody chewing. They have tm/selenium blocks, plain salt, sulfur salt, so what gives?? Anyone have something that works to keep them off the wood posts?? I got some spray stuff but we have had so much rain it's gone.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Are they just chewing, or cribbing?

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

Chewing. They ave big bales (1500+ lb alfalfa Hay) the good stuff, in front of them so they aren't hungry.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

cng
Allowance Winner

Postby cng » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:45 pm

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:21 pm

What's with that?? I didn't see anything about horses. Plus they are PROFESSIONALS.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Mine stripped the bark off of any trees they could reach when they were turned out. I brought in a new horse last July. The water lines in the barn are wrapped with foam insulation and then hidden with wood. This year the wood is getting gnawed on. A few fence boards are gnawed. The palm tree that had been ignored for 5 years is now only standing by the grace of God. They gnawed a bowl shaped hole in it that is approx 24" in diameter and maybe 10" deep. The new broodmare has taught them new ways to entertain themselves. Who's new in your barn?

wgc517
Allowance Winner

Postby wgc517 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:10 am

I have the same thing going on. I think they are just bored. it has been a long winter for them. Turn them out into the biggest paddock you have , put some toys in there to keep the interested if you can. Can always spray the fence with some deterrent (hot pepper or such).

The other question is what type of would are you using. I am wondering if the prefer one over the other.

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:03 am

I cut down cedar limbs and logs and throw them into their paddocks to chew on. I cut pine, spruce and cedar branches for them to chew on. They have toys in their paddocks and LOTS of hay 24/7 and they still chomp on my oak and ash boards and cedar posts. Non stop

I have tried mixing up vats of oil and cayenne pepper and slathered that on - it works for maybe a day if I am lucky

BUT ... the absolute best thing that I have found that they will not chew through, and will withstand heat and cold cycles and stay put and not come off and it is STILL there 2-3 years after the initial application is either Absorbine Hooflex or Fiebings liquid hoof dressing. Any any other hoof product with pine tar in there. They wont go near it, They wont chew through it. The worst that happens is they rubs their butts or tails on those posts and boards and you have a goopy bum to deal with

Best thing I have ever used. They seem to hate the smell and wont even try and taste it. Plus it blends into the wood colour pretty well so it isnt sticking out and looking awful on your fencing either

Good luck!
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:35 pm

Black asphalt paint, fresh every year, seems to help keep them away.

Don't ever use poplar fence boards - they love the taste of poplar.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:08 pm

electricity is a horse's and horseman's best friend

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Ah griff - great if you dont have snow, but add a bunch of snow to the mixture and the horses are no longer standing on the ground and they are leaning on the electric tape / wire to their hearts content and not getting zapped at all ...
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

Breeders of unique coloured Thoroughbreds & Sport Horses - standing Guaranteed Gold - 16.1hh cremello TB stallion - CSHA and AQHA, APHA, ApHC listed

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:08 pm

maybe they will learn to stop chewing abd stay away from the wire beforen it snowes next year

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

TrueColours
Grade I Winner

Postby TrueColours » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:35 pm

maybe they will learn to stop chewing abd stay away from the wire beforen it snowes next year

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Doesnt quite work that way but I wish it did! Buggers always seem to know when the fence is working or not ...
www.TrueColoursFarm.com

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:01 pm

It's because they can HEAR it. When they cannot hear the fence they know it is off and harmless.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:44 pm

Griff posted:
electricity is a horse's and horseman's best friend

I'm with Griff on this. It is the most effective and inexpensive method I know of. With proper installation, snow and rain don't detract from its effectiveness. It's the only fence I use. You have to manage your horses introduction to it and you do have to check for down wire because of limbs etc., but maintenance is minimal. Just carry a pair of fencing pliers.