Everybody Is Chewing Wood

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:53 pm

I am very happy to report that my horses are not as smart as yours.

i can string a single starn of ribbon wire acorss a field and after I walk the horse to the new installation and introduce him to it to him I can cut it off..

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:51 am

That's funny. :lol:

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:19 pm

I had a mare who used to"test" the hotwire by using the buddy system. She'd find a "friend" usually a newbie in her group (or one of the denser geldings who didn't learn very fast). She'd sidle up along side and gradually inch the poor sucker closer to the fence. She'd get him just close enough then give him a shove and wait for the reaction. If he bounced off okay, she'd be at that fence in a heartbeat. If he reacted, she'd back off and try again another time. It was funny to watch her figure it out, she got zapped a few times through her test subject if she didn't bump him hard enough. Funny thing, it was always the boys she suckered into trying it out for her :lol:
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:39 pm

And when she found the fence was off what was the incentive to be at it?/

griff

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:55 am

Griff posted:
And when she found the fence was off what was the incentive to be at it?/

Hey, Griff, your claim that your horses are dumber than mine is absolute nonsense. My horses are definitely less intelligent, they never know when the electricity is off and never challenge it. Should I take this to mean that I'm a smarter horseman? :wink:

Shannon apparently has the smartest mare though.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:55 am

Shammy

I have no doubt but that you are the smarter horseman..

Did you get the pictures of that Gunnerside filly i sent?/ looked like she was ready to wean at 10 days.

By the way, I once put a hot wire around my back yard to keep my Enlish setter from climbing the fence.. One day my 3 YO son came in the house mad as hell and grabed the bar-be-que tongs.. Seems like he had tried climing the fence and he was intent on getting revenge

The bar-be-que tongs were metal and I soon heard him let out another bellow.. he also never challenged the fence again..

griff

griff.

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Griff: When you said that you went out and cut the wire strand down after moving the horse, I thought "Hope Griff is smarter than his horses and turned the electricity off."

I did see the filly and she is beautiful. Still, I'd wait to wean her and if you use electric wire to pasture her don't let her near the barbecue tongs. :lol:

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:21 pm

I agree. We have electric fencing, using T-posts that we have covered with PVC pipe, then drilled holes in the PVC to screw on the insulators. Put a cap on each one and they can't get hurt as easily if they run into one and they don't chew the PVC up. However, there are pens that most of this is going on in. We have to use posts to reinforce the panels at their junctions. Otherwise, it would cost 3 times as much for Noble panels. Eventually, that is our goal to have Noble panels throughout. However, no one has jumped up to win the Dubai World Cup yet, so we have to make do. :(
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:08 pm

LKR wrote:
. . . However, no one has jumped up to win the Dubai World Cup yet, so we have to make do.

With a little cash from the DWC, you could forget the fencing, board the mares, and travel to see your horses racing worldwide. That would be the ultimate in horseracing.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Boy, does THAT sound like a plan!!!
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:56 am

LKR: If the plan works, you might want to think about sending your old electric fence to Griff so that he won't have to run old strands across his backyard anymore. I should have asked him how many horses you can pasture in a residential backyard. But that is another topic I'm sure.

Shannon
Starters Handicap

Postby Shannon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Griff: Her reason was anything she felt like...chew the boards, pick on the other horses across the rails, steal their hay if she could get close enough...pretty much whatever was on the other side, she wanted at it...anywhere we went. At shows, she would jump out of her temporary paddock and go steal the hay from the horses around her. Her paddock used to look like a jail to keep her in.
A woman needs 2 animals in her life-the horse of her dreams, and a jackass to pay for it!

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:10 pm

shammy davis

one horse per acre

g

Shammy Davis

Postby Shammy Davis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:37 am

Griff: Your backyard is measured in acres? That's not a backyard, that is an estate.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:15 pm

nope just 2 1/2 acres

Not really enough to do anythingwith butb I did raise one filly and her pet goat. back there several years ago.

g