What feed do you use for your broodmares and foals?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon May 23, 2011 6:59 pm

YEA! What Madelyn said

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Lei Owen
Allowance Winner

Postby Lei Owen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:56 pm

I know i'm late to the party, Oh well. Here's my two cent's. 8)

We fed Land O Lakes Mare and Foal. Purina bought that and they now market it as Purina 300. Same stuff and just as good. All of our broodies and babies did very well on it.

We have one thoroughbred that would look like hell when she had a colt on her. To keep her in decent flesh and the neighbor's from calling Animal Control on us, we fed her 4 times a day. Total of 18 lbs. :shock: She never left a bit. She only shared with her baby three time's a day. The noon feeding was all her's.
Laissez les bon temps rouller!

Retrospectiv
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Retrospectiv » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Lei Owen wrote:We have one thoroughbred that would look like hell when she had a colt on her. To keep her in decent flesh and the neighbor's from calling Animal Control on us, we fed her 4 times a day. Total of 18 lbs. :shock: She never left a bit. She only shared with her baby three time's a day. The noon feeding was all her's.

Did you seriously feed her 18 lbs of concentrate feed a day?!? That's absurd and SOO unhealthy.
~There is always one more imbecile than you counted on~

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Lei said the mare was a hard keeper and the feedings were spread out 4x a day..It was a lot, but not abnormal.

Land O' Lakes grain??? It Was like Butter!!! HAHAHA Ok, silly I know. :)

Retrospectiv
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Retrospectiv » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Wouldn't matter if it was spread out over 10 feedings, 18 lbs of grain is just unhealthy. It's beyond even the recommended feeding levels for that feed, which is full of corn as the 2nd and 12th ingredient. It's 38%+ simple sugars by weight. If you need to feed 18 lbs of a feed and go beyone the recommended feeding levels, that feed is not working for you or the horse.

There are FAR healthier options out there for hard keepers without stuffing them full of poor quality sweet feed. Even cutting down to half that level and adding in beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, rice bran etc. to add calories and fat would be a much healthier alternative. The Omolene 300 is actually not a high fat feed in comparison to those designed for hard keepers, some of which have more than twice the amount of fat.

Retrospectiv
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Retrospectiv » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Wouldn't matter if it was spread out over 10 feedings, 18 lbs of grain is just unhealthy. It's beyond even the recommended feeding levels for that feed, which is full of corn as the 2nd and 12th ingredient. It's 38%+ simple sugars by weight. If you need to feed 18 lbs of a feed and go beyone the recommended feeding levels, that feed is not working for you or the horse.

There are FAR healthier options out there for hard keepers without stuffing them full of poor quality sweet feed. Even cutting down to half that level and adding in beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, rice bran etc. to add calories and fat would be a much healthier alternative. The Omolene 300 is actually not a high fat feed in comparison to those designed for hard keepers, some of which have more than twice the amount of fat.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:11 am

Here's a pretty good synopsis of horse/nutrition/protein
http://www.equinews.com/article/lucerne ... dium=email

There is also a tremendous glucose need for lactation in broodmares for the first two months. My lactating mares get 12 lbs per day - if I had a really hard keeper like lei's mare I would step that up to prevent weight loss in the mare..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Have to agree fully with Retrospectiv. I too have mares that look like hell after a foal and the key is not more grain, free choice hay is a better option. WAY WAY to much sugar, their body can not handle that much sugar, much like we can't. They can get diabetes just like us, but in a horse it is founder.

I love Purina products and my mare does well on Ultium Growth. But that is just one, my yearlings are on Equine Jr because they do well on that and my stallion does great on Omalene 200.

Not great for the system but you really need to find something that works better for your mare.....maybe try something not so sweet. I have mixed my own, I love the 4 way mix too of wheat, oats, corn and barley. More barley if you can afford it. Try mixing that unprocessed with your feed. But hay and/or grass is going to give the best results.