Orphan Foal - Pellets or Milk Replacer?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Orphan Foal - Pellets or Milk Replacer?

Postby Supernova » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:50 pm

We have a 5 week orphan foal who is eating roughly 1/2 flake of hay per day and drinking water, can they survive eating only the milk pellets or at this age do they require the milk replacer?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Sounds ominous to me. At that age they are usually getting 25 lbs of milk per day from their dam. I believe the milk replacer is a must.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:06 pm

when faced with a choice, take both

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Jane
Allowance Winner

Postby Jane » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:50 pm

I am no expert on the subject but I do have an orphan foal this year. I think the Foal Lac pellets contain almost as much as the milk replacer but the foal would have to eat alot of pellets to make up for the amount of milk he'd be missing out on.

My little guy won't touch the pellets but he loves the milk products, I started out using Foal Lac but due to import problems at the boarder I switched him over to a Canadian product called Foal Gro and he didn't even notice the difference but maybe worth trying a different milk replacer for your guy if you haven't already.

How is the foal looking? Do you have company for him, did the nurse mare not work out?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:12 pm

I have only raised one orphan. He would have been fine without the pellets but not without the milk replacer. He is a nice big horse now, about 16.1 h and none the worse for wear.

I know the milk replacer is a pita - you mix it 4 times to 8 times per day since in the heat it goes bad really fast - and I missed a LOT of sleep during four months of midnight and 4am feedings - but I believe it really pays off in the long run.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Supernova
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Supernova » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:21 pm

No unfortunately the nurse mare did not work out :( We tried for two weeks, she wouldn't allow him to nurse without being restrained and was unpredictable. It would seem like we were making progress and then she would go after him and we just couldn't trust them together.

We tried to switch him over to the milk replacer before getting rid of the mare, but he wouldn't touch the stuff. He loves the milk pellets though.

So we did end up sending her back yesterday and with no other choice he is now sucking back the milk replacer! So I think he is going to be alright without the mare. He is still eating the milk pellets and approx. 1/2 a flake of hay and some grass outside.

I was really worried about taking away the nurse mare because he was really bonded to her, even though she didn't feel the same. But he didn't seem overly upset by the whole thing. So hopefully he is fine one his own!

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Try and find a mare who has just foaled a dead baby if possible. We skinned the dead foal and wrapped that around our foal. Within 8 hours he was hers!! She did a marvelous job for us. I know it sounds morbid but desparate situations require desparate solutions. We resorted to this measure after trying 3 mares. We did bury the dead foal with a small ceremony. It was only fitting, the baby deserved that. I still think of that little one, to this day, with gratitude that it could help ours live.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:31 am

So sorry :( I would absolutely 100% start your foal on Gasto-guard right away. Trust me when I say this. Foals are more prone to life threatening ulcers. I've seen/dealt with many nursemares over the years. There are alternatives to gastro-guard that you can switch to afterwards. One tube is around $65 - the tube will last you 4-5 days, then you can continue with omeprazole or ranitidine. It is definitely worth the money to take preventitive action then to deal with a severly ulcerated foal or worse. If I was in any position to help I would. I can help you get in touch with another friend who has raised two orphan foals sans nursemare, she isn't too far from you. I will get in touch with you asap.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"