Question about Sun Fading

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

Question about Sun Fading

Postby madelyn » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:20 am

I think I have read that feeding paprika can restore the black to a really sunfaded coat - does anyone have any experience with this? How much do you add to the feed? Thanks in advance
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:41 am

My friend swears this is very effective. A tbsp of paprika to every grain meal does the trick. I actually started feeding Flax Appeal to a black yearling who had a bleached appearance, she now has a fantastic dark coat after 3 weeks.
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks very much. Now I need to find a tub of paprika :D

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:21 pm

smartkpak has great and inexpensive feed thorough coat conditioners.

We've started using them on our Sept/Oct horses and it is really helping.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:36 pm

They sell the large bottle of paprika at our track tack shop here, if that helps, Madelyn. Not sure how close you are to the tack shop...
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:18 pm

stall them in daylight hours and let them out at night

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:19 pm

Paprika is very close plant kin to red peppers (aka chillies) and bell peppers. What in them promotes retention of pigmentation?
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!
A horse gallops with his lungs
Perseveres with his heart
And wins with his character. --Tesio

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:10 am

I don't know the mechanism of how it works but I do know it will cause a positive test for capsacian.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks, griff, but that boat has sailed. What I have is a sweet 5 year old gelding, jet black (very dark bay) who is beige right now. He is undergoing reschooling for a new life, and he needs his coat restored asap. I know how to PREVENT sun fading, in this case I have to reverse it. Since it's not for racing, I don't have to worry about testing for capsaican, but that is Very Good to Know, thanks Laurie.

I am in Louisville, which is pretty far from your tack shop, Jessi. I think I have to go to the south end and hit one of the Hispanic grocery stores.

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:45 am

Madelyn I was talking about YOUR local tack shop at the track. Im sure they have it.
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:09 am

Ah. Luckett's, you think?

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 pm

Sam's Club or Costco.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Thanks

Bast
Sophomore Sire

Postby Bast » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 pm

In another lifetime, I worked at a major name brand that sold spices and seasonings (and especially MUSTARD, hint, hint, and yes, there was a Mustard Street) and among the things I did was analyze red peppers and chillies for capsaicin by gas chromatography. The company of course also handled paprika.

What in the paprika affects the coat color of these fading coats?
May 2013: Plan ahead now for the Phalaris/Teddy Centennial!

A horse gallops with his lungs

Perseveres with his heart

And wins with his character. --Tesio

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:42 am

Copying and pasting from a thread on COTH, "How does Paprika actually work to darken coats?" first post on page 2 - http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showt ... ing&page=2

there are basically two pigments in the hair of the horse Eumelanin which is black and phaeomelanin which is red or no melanin which is white. The pigments occur in microscopic granules and are laid down between the strands of Keratin which make up the hairshaft.

The pigment granules are produced at the base of the hairshaft and can be laid down in the shaft in various different patterns (genetically controlled) .
They can be all around the hair shaft, or just on one side (dilution gene) or just on the inner surface of the shaft (double dilution gene).

Once laid down and the hair has grown out of the root bed, they cannot be added too, but they can be destroyed or altered by the action of chemicals or sunlight or both.

The biochemical pathway which produces both pigments involves an enzyme that uses copper ions as an electron acceptor. Thus for the pigments to be produced fully there needs to be copper present in the cell.

If the horse (or cow) is short of copper then the enzyme can't do it;s job and the pigments are produced slowly if at all and sometimes in a different form.
So to ensure that the animal gets it's full dose of pigment synthsized you need to ensure a supply of copper in the diet.
Paprika is rich in copper flavenoids, especially the Hungarian paprika.

Thus as long as you feed a supplement rich in copper the hairs will get their full dose of pigment. BUT this only happens when the hairs are being produced as they grow, once they are grown, you cannot add any more pigment, you can only either lose it to the action of sunlight and or chemicals.
So once the hair has grown you can improve the texture of the hair (more on that later) but not the content. You can add pigment to the outer layers as in dyeing, but not to the inner hair shaft.

Part of the appearance of the color is not only where in the shaft the pigment granules lie but the refractive index of the scales that coat the outside of the hair shaft ( I warned you that there would be physics involved).
Whene the hair is new and young the scales have a good supply of sebum, the oil which coats them and they have a high refractive index, the light gets bounced around within the hair shaft and the hairs appear darker and shinier.
As the hairs age they lose the sebum, and the scales begin to peel away and the hair appears less shiny and lighter.
So to help the hair keep it's refractive index you can
a) give the horse a high fat diet which makes the little sebacous glands at the base of the hair produce more sebum, which coats the hairs and they appear darker and shinier (hence why Platinum Performance, a high fat supplement based on flax seed causes a darker coat).
Or B) apply a conditioner with oils in it to the hairshaft. This will also cause the little scales to lie down flat and improve the refractive index.
You can also apply a coating of conditioner with little tiny reflective scales in it these tiny scales add to the refractive index and make the hair shinier.

But anything applied to the outside of the hair shaft is going to be temporary at best.
Things on the inside last a bit longer.

But the bottom line is to make a hair coat darker and shinier use a mix of copper and fat. The fat has an immediate effect the copper when the next coat change occurs.

BTW if you eat a lot of Hungarian paprika your skin will get a darker shinier color as well, that's what the feed through fake tans are based on.
Your hair will grow darker as well, but you'll see it first in the skin.
Jessi P

330 383 1281

[email protected]