How much do you pay for layups?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

madelyn

How much do you pay for layups?

Postby madelyn » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:35 am

Are the contracts tiered? ie: $XX per day board, $X per day for wrapping legs, $x per day for medicating?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

IcouldbeU
Maiden Special Weight

Postby IcouldbeU » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:37 am

In Northern CA, we pay $55 all inclusive but have recently started sending our layups to a farm in AZ for $35 but pay extra if more than 1/2hr of care is needed per day, i.e. handwalking vs the mill, or blistering.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Thanks. I have a pasture boarded retired OTTB who pays ~ $9 a day and came up with a pulled suspensory. For stall, plus icing, hosing, alcohol rubs, wrapping, I was thinking of adding $5 a day to his bill for the time that he needs that.

spex4me
Grade I Winner

Postby spex4me » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:59 pm

That's excellent imo. I asked a few people here and it was 20 to 30 a day. Basically say your horse needed a shot everyday it was going to be 25 or higher.
trying to come up with something brillant..... this may take a while. :)

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:54 am

spex4me wrote:That's excellent imo. I asked a few people here and it was 20 to 30 a day. Basically say your horse needed a shot everyday it was going to be 25 or higher.

Boy that is a hornet's nest right there. Giving someone else's horse an injection is fool hardy enough. Charging for it is professional suicide.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:48 pm

lay ups around midway are $30+ and wrapping or bandages changes (depending on the kind of care) is extra. Any injections are charged for plus medication (of whatever sort if the owner/vet didnt charge or provide it already). The price of board is higher due to the expenses. i.e. man time, extra bedding if needed or hand walking, extra hay or supplements.. it all depends.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Laurierace wrote:
spex4me wrote:That's excellent imo. I asked a few people here and it was 20 to 30 a day. Basically say your horse needed a shot everyday it was going to be 25 or higher.

Boy that is a hornet's nest right there. Giving someone else's horse an injection is fool hardy enough. Charging for it is professional suicide.

Are you suggesting Laurie that if you board your horse somewhere that they should not provide the injections? That only a vet should come out and give the Adequan shots, etc... that the horse needs?
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 pm

No, I am suggesting that you would have to be insane as a non-vet to CHARGE for a service you can not legally provide. That is like a prostitute sending a John a bill. You can offer it to your trusted clients as a courtesy with the vet's consent but do not charge for it ever.

clh
Grade I Winner

Postby clh » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:39 am

Gotcha! Thanks. But if I recall, my previous partners from below, did in fact itemize that on their bill.
"We are the people our parents warned us about" - Jimmy Buffett

"My occupational hazard is that my occupation is just not around" - Jimmy Buffett

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:25 am

If a vet prescribes a treatment say an antibiotic. The farm is contracted by the owner to follow thorough with treatment in due course. i.e. if they are confident they can continue the therapy and a vet isnt needed everyday for treatment than they have a right to charge for their services and supplies. For injections yes a vet may prescribe a vial of whatever, but if a farm is using their man hours and syringes etc for the therapy they have a right to charge for it.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:10 am

What happens at farms and what happens on the backside of the racetrack or sometimes at training centers are often QUITE different. It is very routine on the farm to give injections. I can always hit the vein if I need to - I do all the vaccs, do banamine for bellyaches, hcg shots post-breeding, etc. etc. etc. I KNOW that you can be ruled off the backside if you give your own horse a shot. I am not quite sure how the backside vets wield this power - if it is through threats, intimidation, payoffs, etc., but I know since the backside is like a bunch of bitchy little girls there are a lot of folks who just LIVE to rat on someone else. By ruling that only a licensed vet may have a syringe in his truck or something.. well I suppose it is to try to prevent "unauthorized" folks from shooting up someone else's horse.. but anyhow on the farm it is much more laid back and there is no LAW that says I can't give my own broodmare a rhino shot. At least not in KY. It is in my board contract - owners can elect to use their own vet or have the farm give shots if needed. I know I want to hit a bellyache with banamine NOW and not wait for a vet..

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:58 am

You can do anything you want to your own horses. If you charge someone else for performing a service you can not legally provide you are not only breaking the law but also opening yourself up to a liability nightmare. Good luck getting your liability insurance to defend you. Breaking the law negates the policy.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:32 pm

there is negligence and gross negligence .. Handing a teenager a syringe at your local stable saying this horse needs this 2x a day is gross negligence..

staff at a commercial breeding or training operation who has been instructed by a vet to administer an antibiotic injection so many times a day for so long is not against the law because it is still under vet instructions. The farm charging for their time or syringes is not illegal either. You need to charge even for the small items/man time to keep your expenses in order.

Also, it's hard not to find commercial sized operations that doesnt administer vaccinations to their whole herd (client or private). They may buy the vials from the vet's office but do the work themselves... and charge for it.

Charging/Not charging is up to the operation/vet/client relationship. Some may not feel comfortable doing it, but really anytime you are putting out money for a clients horse, you need to charge for it. These are your operating costs and out-of-pocket expenses.