Omeprazole

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:31 pm

I switched to KER's RiteTrac last week.

What's your take on that stuff.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:34 pm

No idea. Let us know what you think.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:35 am

Just started feeding RiteTrac last Sunday to a "high strung" 2 YO that started training in SC last March and is now at Delaware Park..

Trainer says he is "hyper" going to the track but is fine once he gets there and OK coming in.. We are hoping to race him in early October in prep for the $75k SC Residency race at PARX on 11/06/11.

Found KER's RiteTrac in another post on this site and it's suppose to address both front-end and hind-end ulcer prevention/cure plus a lot of other stuff.

I don't expect this stuff to calm him down but do hope it helps him stay ulcer free or helps cure any that he already has.

griff

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:45 pm

griff wrote:

Just started feeding RiteTrac last Sunday to a "high strung" 2 YO that started training in SC last March and is now at Delaware Park..

Trainer says he is "hyper" going to the track but is fine once he gets there and OK coming in.. We are hoping to race him in early October in prep for the $75k SC Residency race at PARX on 11/06/11.

Found KER's RiteTrac in another post on this site and it's suppose to address both front-end and hind-end ulcer prevention/cure plus a lot of other stuff.

I don't expect this stuff to calm him down but do hope it helps him stay ulcer free or helps cure any that he already has.

griff

griff, any follow up or opinion on the Ker's Rite Trac? Also is it a feed supplement or a paste?
"Politicians should be limited to two terms, one in office and another in jail." Anonymous

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:21 am

Phoebus did a soft 5/8 in 1:03.2 last Sunday at Delaware Park and, what seemed to be important to the trainer is he kept running after the 5/8.

I have no idea if the RiteTrac is doing any good or not but he seems to have calmed down and is much easier to handle going to the track. I suspect this has more to do with him getting used to the new track and trainer[s] than anything the Rite Trac has done in this short period of time.

I'm thinking about starting him on SmartPac's SmartDigest and cutting the Rite Trac in half and stopping it altogether when it runs out..

The SmartPac stuff is suppose to address both front end and hind end ulcers and costs half what the Rite Trac costs. Plus hee seems to be settling in nicely and hopefully now not so prone to ulcers.

Any thoughts??

griff

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:21 am

zinn21 wrote:
griff, any follow up or opinion on the Ker's Rite Trac? Also is it a feed supplement or a paste?

Zin, I feed my guy the hindgut-only stuff, Equishure. Rite Trac is part Equishure and part stomach antacid. It's a white powder that feels like squishy medium-grain sand.

When I started giving it to my gelding, he had dropped a lot of weight in fairly short time. As well as the Equishure he got his teeth done and started on a 2-month course of Succeed. I think that by keeping the acid in the hindgut down, it was able to let the yeasts and stuff in the Succeed build a successful colony. He's still a bit on the ribby side but he's very energetic and shines like a new penny.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:52 am

K.M.

How would you compare SUCCEED with KOMBAT BOOTS???

And again, have you looked at the stuuf SmartPac has in their SmartDigest [think it's named SmartDigest but it may be SmartGit or something]

griff

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:50 am

If I'd known about Kombat Boots I would have fed that over succeed. Both are nutritional/digestive yeasts but the KB is a LOT cheaper. I got to the result I wanted, though, which was weight gain and improved condition.

I would have still kept him on the Equishure, since he'd lost so much weight so fast that it was more important to put his body in a state where a probiotic colony could become self-supporting, rather than being squeezed off in a too-acid hind gut. He needed a lot of concentrate as well as a lot of hay to put the weight back on, and with that much concentrate putting him on something for acid control seemed prudent. I am VERY happy with the results.

On to your other question:

SmartDigest

L-Glutamine.............................amino acid
Fructooligosaccharides..............amino acid
Mannanoligosaccharides ..........amino acid
Psyllium Seed Husk .................fiber, also found in sand-clear
Arabinogalactan......................amino acid
Aspergillus Niger ...................probiotic bacteria
Deglycyrrized Licorice ............flavouring agent
Fenugreek Seed ....................flavouring agent
Ginger Root Powder ..............flavouring agent
Oat Beta Glucan ....................sugar***
Turmeric................................herbal, antiinflammatory and flavouring
Apple Fiber............................fiber
Pancrelipase..........................fatty acid
Citrus Pectin...........................coating/thickening agent
Active Dry Yeast ....................probiotic yeast
Lactobacillus Acidophilus ........probiotic bacteria
Enterococcus Faecium .............probiotic bacteria
Lactobacillus Casei .................probiotic bacteria
Lactococcus Lactis ..................probiotic bacteria
Bifidobacterium Longum..........probiotic bacteria

This stuff will taste like licorice. The sugar, Oat Beta Glucan, is a special type of sugar that is digested differently, kind of like how fructose and glucose are metabolized differently by humans. It's one of the main ingredients in Succeed.

Some thoughts:

1. If you use the SmartDigest, you don't need the Kombat Boots. Yeast is yeast is yeast....this stuff is pretty close, actually, to succeed in terms of ingredients.
2. If his poop gets really soft and loose, you may be oversupplementing with the probiotics.
3. The idea behind this is that the yeasts produce CO2 as a byproduct of fermentation, which will help bring up the pH in the hind gut. If his digestion is such that the yeasts you add are not enough, he'll start to show signs of acidosis again. You can check this with pool pH test strips that you stick into a ball of fresh manure. If he's like my guy and lots of acid even with the yeast, Equishure/RiteTrac is the only thing on the market that will bring it down and keep it down.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks

griff