need advice.

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

need advice.

Postby MINNOW » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:55 pm

We have a horse that has a wound on her front leg,skin all gone.We have been using animal lintex it is still ousing fluid,what can anyone recomend to dry it up.I have found a product called equiaid it is supposed to not let proud flesh from forming.We have just started using scarlet oil under the lintex as it says you can only use lintex for five days.any body delt with this ,I KNOW WHAT MY OLD TRAINER WOULD SAY ,JUST THROW SOMELIME ON IT,ouch.
All gave some,
some gave all

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Alushield should help.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:25 am

One of the very best things I have found to keep a wound completely dry and flies off it is to whoosh it with dollar store medicated body powder. Hemmorhoid ointment works fantastic to keep proud flesh at bay. To encourage hair regrowth, put on body cream for stretch marks.. then cover it with the powder..
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:14 am

I tried everything on a mare with a wound inside her hock.

Then someone on this site recommended I brush it used crankcase oil once a day. Worked where nothing else did..

Don't know if "used" crank case oil is recommended because it is cheap of if burned or hated oil is better than the stuff out of the can.

no proud flesh and a long tight scare on the inside of her hock where it bends every time she moves.

Vet did not demonstrate surprise.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:55 am

I have seen AMAZING results with this stuff on open wounds, but now thanks to Griff, I want to try crankcase oil sometime.

http://www.valleyvet.biz/ct_detail.html ... QAodvUnFiw

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:42 am

Kari

I was a little hesitant to put that ugly smelly stuff on an open wound but it started working immediately. Keeps the flies away also.

I forgot who recommended it but it was someone that posts on this site

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:50 am

Derma gel is fantastic but it keeps the wound moist as it heals and the OP was asking for something to help dry it up.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:20 pm

It might be worth checking out the Acell company. They make a wound powder that works by calling stem cells to the site of the injury.

http://www.acellvet.com/

MINNOW
Allowance Winner

Postby MINNOW » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks folks,we put derma jell on there last night seems to be doing ok this morning when we changed her bandage it was a lot drier and pinker looking.That stuff smells nice like lavender.It says that you can leave it open i don't want to do that just yet but if it improves at the same rate a couple of days should do it.She needs to go to the track tomorrow she is getting a little high she is eating up now so i don;t think it is bothering her as much as it is bothering me lol.Have not seen her go yet she is new to us,she came with the wound however she is as sweet as a nut i just love her already,and the trainer we got her off gave us a real nice horse last year.
All gave some,

some gave all