Yearlings scoped at sales

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 am

9 out of 10 scopes at the sale are not done with tranqs. The vet is in and out. Scope video and reports can be turned into the repository. However most buyers want a new one. Scopes on the farm can be up to 20 days old. If your horse is hot and in a early book a vet will comment if he sees a little swelling and may recommend a video be put in the repos, but if you are in a 4th-6th book (6th especially) it's not something I would really worry about.

Kari
Allowance Winner

Postby Kari » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks, Crystal. I feel better knowing that some of the horses have scope videos available for review. I can understand how a buyer wouldn't want to take a written report at face value, since 2 different doctors can see the same thing and comment on it in 2 different ways (lawd knows I see it all the time!).

Side note: My middle name should be Murphy's Law. I guarantee the first time I hold a yearling for a scope with no sedative on board, I will come away bruised :lol:

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:44 pm

It's not that bad. A vet comes assistant and twitch in hand.. Literally the vet will be there for 5 minutes and will be gone. Horses barely need tranq at all by the end of the first day of showing. They are all nervous, yelling and carrying on at first, but show them 10 or 15 times and you will be dragging them behind you.. wear tennis shoes.