bagged forage/haylage

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

bagged forage/haylage

Postby kimberley mine » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Who has experience with forage and haylage? Lucerne Farms, Chaffhaye, and the like.

My red gelding was doing really well over the summer but is starting to look unthrifty now that the weather has turned.

Hay is in short supply and dear, plus I don't have a truck. I'm adding timothy pellets in addition to his grain and regular hay ration....would be nice to have something to fill a feed tub with at night and let him munch.

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:55 pm

I would love to hear opinions too!
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks Shammy.

Yesterday I gave the red one some for the first time. He munched for about five minutes, would go to actual grass, and if he realized I was watching would try to eat the pellets (very cute). I left them in his yard, and when I arrived this morning they were gone.

Today I gave him a mixture of soaked hay pellets (about 3lbs), beet pulp pellets, and 2 cups of calf manna, soaked into mush with some oil topping it off. He doesn't prefer it to hay or grass, but would eat it slowly, working on it for over an hour (and the mixture was only half way gone at that point).

If he eats it, and if he takes his time with it, that could be a good thing.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:50 pm

You might try soaking flax seeds (24 hour minimum is recommended to produce the oil or bring to a boil and let stand for an hour) and using it in concert with soaked shredded beet pulp. The Omega 3's will beef up a horses immune system amongst other positive health characteristics. This is my daily regimen. If a horse appears to be going off its weight I supplement with vegetable oil and/or rice bran. Rice bran is more economical, but you get quicker results with vegetable oil. I also use soaked alfafa cubes to calm the stomach.

Here's something else to think about.

http://animalscience.ag.utk.edu/Horse/p ... -23-03.pdf

And maybe this.

http://www.horsetech.com/when_to_use_a_probiotic.htm

OTTB's are often prone to all sorts of problems. Once they leave the special circumstances of the track and become horses again, it is often difficult to find a care and feeding program that maintains ther peak health. I've certainly had more than my share of OTTB's that have been difficult to manage. I have one now. It's an uphill battle everyday. Gastric ulcers are a primary cause of nutrient deficiency and unthriftiness. Don't forget the teeth.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Shammy Davis wrote:OTTB's are often prone to all sorts of problems. Once they leave the special circumstances of the track and become horses again, it is often difficult to find a care and feeding program that maintains ther peak health. I've certainly had more than my share of OTTB's that have been difficult to manage. I have one now. It's an uphill battle everyday. Gastric ulcers are a primary cause of nutrient deficiency and unthriftiness. Don't forget the teeth.

His teeth were done in late April/early May, and I've made some other changes to his diet that until it got cold had him in good flesh, and especially in the last two months he's been feeling really well. He has always had some ribs showing, which is more of a conformation thing because everywhere else was in good flesh--he's just really, really well-sprung.

I noticed yesterday that he's starting to look a little bit hollow just behind the withers, which was the first place he started to lose the weight last winter. More hay, beet pulp, and oil fixed it last time--only this year hay is so very expensive, and the quality we can get is hit or miss. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's not. If I'm going to pay a lot of money for this, I'd rather give him consistent nutritional value of consistently high quality (the pellets are bright green and smell fantastic) rather than coastal hay, and avoid the risk of impaction that comes with coastal.

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:38 am

If your gelding gets thin in the winter, does he have enough body fat to deal with the lower temperatures? Would a blanket help?

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Just an update.

After a month of adding timothy hay pellets to his normal ration, for a total of about 5 1/2 pound extra pellets per day, the horse has noticeably gained weight, especially along his topline and just behind the forearm.

I didn't tape him, just palpated the various areas where he'd gain. The hollows behind his withers are gone, he's starting to get good cover over his tailhead, and the buttocks between hipbone and tailhead are filling in.

Xfactor--he gets blanketed when it gets below 50 degrees. This past week we had a couple of 70 degree days, and he went nekkid.