swayback and training

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Pav
2yo Maiden

swayback and training

Postby Pav » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:50 pm

I have a yearling at the farm who is looking more and more swayback. He has always been a big horse, and is definitely "rump high", with his back end much higher than his withers. Not sure if he just in an awkward growth stage, but sure doesn't look as put together as he did before. With all that said, I am trying to figure out my training plans for him. Originally, I wanted to get an early start with him, sending him to be broken at the beginning of the year, but now I am unsure. I've heard that some training, getting a saddle on him, would help build muscle and help with the swayback. On the other hand, I might just wait and let him grow into himself before training. Any thoughts or opinions?

Thx,
Pav

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:36 pm

it's possible that some good groundwork with lunge caveson, surcingle, side reins, etc., might help him out quite a bit by getting him under himself and stretching out his topline. Swimming would also be really good for strengthening his back muscles. What I, personally, would NOT do to a horse showing early swayback is put a RIDER on him.

From Wikipedia..
In non-human animals
A horse with significant lordosis, probably age-relatedSee also: Back (horse)
Lordosis is seen in non-humans, in particular horses and other equines. Usually called "swayback," soft back, or low back, it is an undesirable conformation trait. Swayback is caused in part from a loss of muscle tone in both the back and abdominal muscles, plus a weakening and stretching of the ligaments. As in humans, it may be influenced by bearing young; it is sometimes seen in a broodmare that has had multiple foals. However, it is also common in older horses whose age leads to loss of muscle tone and stretched ligaments. It also occurs due to overuse or injury to the muscles and ligaments from excess work or loads, or from premature work placed upon an immature animal. Equines with too long a back are more prone to the condition than those with a short back, but as a longer back is also linked to smoother gaits, the trait is sometimes encouraged by selective breeding. It has been found to have a hereditary basis in the American Saddlebred breed, transmitted via a recessive mode of inheritance. Research into the genetics underlying the condition has several values beyond just the Saddlebred breed as it may "serve as a model for investigating congenital skeletal deformities in horses and other species."[
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:50 pm

Consult your vet but I would recommend just turning him out until next season to see if he grows and stretches naturally.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:54 pm

Preston Burch in his book suggests that swaybacks are not a problem to train.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 am

Pav I'd be talking to the training center. This is a Cal sire? Most likely they've seen his other kids come through training and will have an opinion. Talk to the stallion mgr and ask about what they've seen in other offspring,same sire re growth spurts, gawky stages. I'd be interested to hear what you find out. Lastly have your vet take a look at him and see what he/she says. If you have a future derby horse on your hands?..... if not and you wait on him what are the consequences? Where do you ideally want to start him? Del Mar this summer? SA next fall? GGF? If you wait on him will it give him a better chance of staying sound to run as a 5 yr old? 6 yr old? Some of the fields for older horses are so light I'm sure lots of people have looked through their pastures for older horses who might be brought back.
Best of luck

Pav
2yo Maiden

Postby Pav » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:29 pm

The yearling is by Marino Marini. I will check with the farm to see whether this is common in his offspring. Like I said, I may be off in my assessment and it might just be that he unbalanced across his topline at this point in his growth. The plan has always been to race him as an 2YO, either in northern or southern CA, and thought there may be some good opportunities early in the year, I don't mind waiting however. I'm actually a firm believer that early training will help with racing longevity as long as it's not overdone. Thanks for the feedback, Pav.