Adequan

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

griff
Leading Sire

Adequan

Postby griff » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:04 am

Adequan IA or Adequan IM???

and what is the loading dose for each?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:33 pm

Griff, when we were using it on our racehorses, we gave an Adequan IM
once every week for four weeks. Then it was once a month after that. If you rest them sometime, you continue the monthly dose, otherwise you have to load them up again when you start back.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:47 am

Thanks Kathie

I read where they now recommend 500 ml every four days for 7 weeks to load up the IM.. What do you think of the stuff for prevention; i.e., I have a 3 YO that we are going to start speed training as soon as his X rays show his knees are closed and he looks like he can run.

I've started three horses so far and all three have had joint problems and I'm a tad paranoid.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:53 am

Griff you should be paranoid as there must be a basic flaw in your program or the system of your starter/trainer. Horses just starting off should not need Adequan unless they have not run but have been trained seriously and have had setbacks such as knee/ankle surgery. Adequan has been a great mainstay for horses in training for over 20 years and gives great relief and support for hock and other joints of running horses. The price has been a bit high but compares favourably now to other products that also work well such as acetyl-d glucosamine which is very cost effective, Pentosan which has good reviews from Australia and is made from beechwood cellulose and "Legend" which has many subscribers too! Any horse of the age that you describe should not need a whole lot of supportive therapy until you get to the races however a 5cc shot im every week will certainly help. I doubt that loading up a horse will make much difference if the underlying program is more than the horse can handle physically and only the people working around the horse can make that call. In the past few years all my youngsters have made me wait until their fall 3 yr old season to start running and they all made out ok. I have far more luck using supportive joint drugs after buying older horses that also need a break. I only offer my insight as another way of looking at your problem , not as any criticism . Once you get to the races then a shot im the day before always helps , whatever compound you use. Lots of luck.

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:27 am

Griff, I would assume you have them on a good daily regimen of joint supplements. We used them with great success. I favored the products from Springtime Feeds. They were excellent quality and I feel they prevented a lot of problems.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

FiftyYearsPlus
Weanling

Another approach

Postby FiftyYearsPlus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm

I started reading about another product widely used in Europe and Australia for decades and began to use it successfully a few years ago named Pentosan.
I think it provides broader gauge benefits than Adequan and you can find information about it on the web. I use it periodically when I'm bearing down on a horse and I always use it as a pre-race treatment as a preventative measure. So far I've had excellent outcomes with it.
As a further note, it costs about half the alternatives.