Spider bite

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Diane

Spider bite

Postby Diane » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 am

I'm interested in hearing about anyone else's experience with bad spider bites. I've been dealing with a moderately bad one for 2+ weeks now. We started treating it like a cellulitus, no wound was evident. It got worse on day 4 for about 24hrs, edema, pain and sick horse. On day #8 I found an open abscess when I unwrapped him. Frankly I was mildly shocked because I had been convinced he'd injured the seasmoid he'd chipped back in July again, it was that bad.
I'm still surprised that it took 8 days for the bite to localize and open. It's on inside LH, @ midpoint between ankle to hock.

LB
Eclipse Champion

Postby LB » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:37 pm

It depends on the kind of spider of course, but our experiences with spider bites have not been good. Black widow: the filly's face swelled up (she was bitten in the jaw), it looked like she had strangles. She was out of work for about a week. Brown recluse: skin, muscle, and tissue sloughed away nearly down to the bone (bitten near the hock). She was out of commission for 3-4 months.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 pm

AUUUHH spider bites suck horribley. BR bite me in the head. Antibiotics and pain meds were the worst part and made me sick to my stomach. Lovely open wound was not pretty either..

Diane

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:23 am