String Halt

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

String Halt

Postby Ruffian » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:05 pm

I haven't dealt with this too much- one mare of mine has it but doesn't bother her-
But I phoned on a horse for sale whom they claim is unraced due to String Halt- is it that big of a deal???

:oops:

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 pm

The only time I have ever heard of String Halt being a big deal is when they go on to a show career. The first ex-racer I bought to show, named Arctic Hope had this. Although he was an awesome jumper and mover because of this I could not show hunter because of the elevated movement in his hind leg......so he became a Jumper instead. Depending on how bad it looks it can be a big issue selling them on the show circuit with this, no matter how well they have done in the prizes.

Inyureye
Allowance Winner

Postby Inyureye » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:39 pm

My OTTB Eromdiks had string halt. I don't know if he had it racing, but he had it when I got him about age 7 or 8 and it didn't bother him for showing, he always placed well hunters, so that's something. He would dip down behind when first mounted and step very high, until he was warmed up, then it wasn't apparant. Sometimes horses will show alot of action behind, especially at a canter usually they warm out of it. Horses have string halt to varying degrees. You can nerve a horse, but that is pretty extreme. It was not recommended for me and Dix. I don't think there is any pain associated with stringhalt. Current vet data will tell you more. I just know that horses will have it either slightly or more severly, and it progresses very slowly over the years and isn't painful to them. I don't know what it does really to the strength of the leg, haunches, back etc. Dix was a good jumper, but I was not pushing him athletically.

mary syers
Allowance Winner

Postby mary syers » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:39 pm

You can cut the small tendon across the nerve that causes this action. The tendon regrows and about 50% of horses improve or are cured of stringhalt. Simple operation, any vet should be able to perform it standing up. Mary Syers

Inyureye
Allowance Winner

Postby Inyureye » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:13 pm

Maybe that's what the vet was talking about, not cutting the nerve. I am relying on my memory back to age 15, so, sorry for incorrect speculations on my part. Thanks, Mary