Do you vaccinate your horses yourself with West Nile?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Cheyenne
Yearling

Do you vaccinate your horses yourself with West Nile?

Postby Cheyenne » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:00 pm

Is this a wise thing to do? I am confident I can do it myself. I am just wondering if there is a good reason to call in a Vet instead.
These will be the first WN shots we will have given her since we purchased her in Nov. 2004.
I am awaiting a return call from the last owner to find out any status on previous WN shots.

Thanks, Chey

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:05 am

I've always given my own vaccinations, never had a problem giving one, but if you are in doubt call the vet.

Cheyenne
Yearling

Postby Cheyenne » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:19 am

sulphurfire wrote:I've always given my own vaccinations, never had a problem giving one, but if you are in doubt call the vet.

Thank you,
I called just now called and made an appointment for Saturday. They said I can give my own but prefer to do the first shot and will give me the booster to do myself.

My decision to go ahead with them doing it was to establish myself with the Vet and he can also give her a once over for soundness. etc.

Also the previous owner said she had not given her any. :(

The mosquitos are thick right now with all the rain we got this year. The ranch does not seem to be drying up very quickly. I may go do a lil intervention today and dig some drainage ditches and physically move water out, ie. with a shovel and wheel barrel.

Such goes my day off. But of course any day off spent with that sweet girl is a good one. ;)