Fertility supplements

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Fertility supplements

Postby oleos93 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:11 am

Looking at leasing a QH stallion that has not been used for breeding since 2006.

I am looking at some different fertility supplements. Does anyone have a brand they have used and can recommend? On any that you would not?

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:48 pm

what makes you think he needs supplements????

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

K~2
Starters Handicap

Postby K~2 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:49 pm

I don't think there is anything that has been clinically proven to enhance fertility (please correct me if I'm wrong).

That said, a healthy animal will be a more fertile animal. If he is in good health, unless there is an underlying issue, his fertility shouldn't be affected.

If you are concerned - have him sent to a facilty where his semen quality can be analysed.
Legal Jousting (Indian Ridge X In Anticipation - Sadler's Wells) standing at Kingsgate Stud

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:40 pm

He does not look in great shape and rather start him on something rather get to date of breeding and find out it would have helped.

There are alot of suppliments that have an overall of fertility, skin, coat, weight gain etc.

I have never used any but would like to put him on something.....he very well may not need it but it would make me feel better.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:22 pm

think about the population explosions in third world nations where many don't have enough to eat. Ever Ferral horse herd I saw out west consisted of a skin and bones stallion and a buch of pot belled mares with a foal at every one of their sides.

I did read some where that too much grain will knock the omega6/omega5 ratio out of balance and that sometimes cutting back on gain, the major source of omega 6 and supplementing with fish oil of flax seed oil will bring the Omega6/Omega3 ration back into some sort of balance..

I suspect most of our problems stem from too much gain and overweight or fat stallions and mares.

griff

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:24 pm

make that the omega6/omera3 ratio that gets out of balance with too much grain

griff

Barcaldine
Starters Handicap

Postby Barcaldine » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Dr. Herthel, developer of Platinum Performance, has developed a supplement for stallions which I have used on an aging stallion. It's pricey ($400 month) but, according to the stallion manager, did improve his sperm counts.