Race fit to not race fit

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Race fit to not race fit

Postby oleos93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Has anyone observed their own off the track horses once they stop racing and how long it takes them to go from fit to unfit? Or from fit to non race fit if just left to pasture etc?

What do some of you do to keep them in shape once they are done racing if they are not turned out?

Kind of an odd question I know. Just have been observing my own and one mare that has been off for awhile and she still looks pretty darn fit.

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:55 pm

we turned one out on just pasture this past summer and he is broodmare fat right now. But exercise will keep them fit and properly adjusting their calorie intake to reflect how many calories they are burning will keep them looking well.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:48 pm

To be honest most of the ones I pick up at the track are not fit,a slow mile at a lope 5 times a week with a short "breeze" on saturday ain't being fit...within a week kids at the school are riding them everywhere.
But 4 to 6 miles of gallop with some acceleration every single day and ladder or interval works every 4-5 days, this is fitness and it takes a few weeks before you can turn them out...and you better not lock them up in a stall 2-3 days or you will have the ride of your life.
Trainers nowadays make me laugh with their "fit" horses....
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...