Xrays of LH ankle

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Diane

Xrays of LH ankle

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:25 pm

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz15 ... e%20xrays/

Anyone care to guess what the future holds for this ankle?
Comments and discussion as to what you see in these xrays welcomed.
Thanks

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:02 pm

what did the Vet say?

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Diane

The vet said

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:06 pm

The vet that took the xrays originally said retirement and didn't think after it healed he'd be able to do anything but light riding if that. The senior partner looked at them and said she didn't think it was as bad as that but that the only way to find out would be to get on him and go slow. The time to get on and go slow has arrived as it's been 10 months.
He's 9 and came off the track last April.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:09 pm

what is his race record?

griff

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:30 pm

http://www.pedigreequery.com/waive+liability
The sesamoid chip seen in the xray happened as a result of getting cast here at my barn.
If you look through the other photobucket pics, he's the big chestnut and also the victim of a brown recluse spider bite.

20 Starts, 2 Wins, 3 Places, 1 Shows Career Earnings: $45,280
Last edited by Diane on Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:17 pm

and what is his race record.

It should be sierra hotel if anyone is considering bringing a 9 YO back to race.

griff

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 pm

No, retired from the track April 2011.
My question is what kind of future as a riding horse with a chip this size and location.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:29 pm

What did your vet say?

I would recommend you take his advice over anything you are going to get here

griff

wilf
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby wilf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:16 pm

I have looked at dozens of x-rays and still have no clue about what a perfect leg should look like. To me it's very simple though in your case Diane if the horse goes sound and acts sane then you are ok to carry on. Only speed work or tearing around a paddock will bring him undone again. I saved a horse 2 years ago that refused to be saddled in the paddock for a race and the owners wanted him gone. In time he settled down but in reality he was telling the world that he had a sesamoid fracture. He was smart enough to try and tell anyone who would listen that bad things would happen if he kept going. He is now a great riding horse in a happy home in N.C.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:53 am

Thanks Wilf,
The underlying story is that when it happened last summer I heard what the first vet said as I was caring for this huge ankle. Anytime I hear sesamoid I think pasture pet or euthanize. I didn't see the xrays myself until sometime in November. We'd been talking about euthanizing him because I thought there was a fracture and when I saw it was a tiny tiny chip I was pretty surprised. I asked the sr partner to take a look at them and she came up with just what you said...... get on him and see how it goes when sufficient time for healing has passed. This horse is such a cute mover, big, good looking, gentle etc that he'd make a good pony club horse. I don't have time to get on him. I also don't have time for him period. He was my time consuming boarder and it was time for him to leave. I gave the word to move him to the owner, a phone number of where to send him and he decided to put him down. I was mortified (po'd). After all this time? It was touch and go and TG we found him a new home. I hate to give a friend a money pit so I was looking for a 4th opinion. Thanks Wilf.
BTW the horse had been sound to race at the track but I suspect he lived on bute and they took good care of his ankles to prevent full blown sesamoiditis. I'm still impressed Marty Jones kept this animal with a pr of horridly conformed front legs sound for as long as he did. He's a good guy.