has anyone tried this?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Joltman
Grade I Winner

has anyone tried this?

Postby Joltman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:51 pm

500+ pounds fresh brewers mash

Oats barley hops 42% protein 70% moisture 2 week shelf life high fiber loaded with minerals(can provide lab analysis report) I feed rabbits goats hogs calfs dogs horses chickens ***use @ your own risk u will need to protect this perishable feed source from light, trapping moisture and insects*** store in the shade or spread out and dry it on tarps in front of fans. Comes in 55 gal drums

Saw this on Craiglist locally. Gotta like the high protein and fiber. Makes me wonder what they do with the sour mash ingredients at the Ky distilleries.

not a steady diet but an interesting supplement in the right proportion? With the rise of micro brews, this may have potential.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:03 am

http://www.fao.org/ag/aGa/agap/FRG/afris/Data/468.HTM

Most info from other sources recommend dried forms, but the biggest obstacle looks to be storage.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:26 pm

40 years ago we used to go down to the big breweries in Montreal and get it for free as long as we brought a drum with us.We fed it to the race and ranch horses here to fatten them up and give them more energy.I still remember the smell...but horses loved it.
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 am

Sylvie: Do you recall the proportions you fed? How many times a day, etc.?

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:02 pm

42 % protein seems a tad high; i.e., I don't even like sweet 16.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Tue May 01, 2012 7:28 am

griff wrote:42 % protein seems a tad high; i.e., I don't even like sweet 16.

griff

What weighs more, a pound of bricks or a pound of feathers? It doesn't matter how much protein something has, it matters how much of that something that you feed in relation with the rest of their diet. The basis of my feeding program is a ration balancer which among many other things has 30% protein. It insures that my protein, vitamin and mineral needs are met and from there I just have to add calories if needed.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Sun May 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Still don't like Sweet 16 even if you cut it with oats.

10# of sweet 16 and 20# of oats comes out to around 12% protein which may be in-range but I don't like the source of the 16%. which I believe is soybeans and grain byproducts.

Or, could be cotton seed meal which I believe comes in around 40% protein.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

Laurierace
Grade II Winner

Postby Laurierace » Mon May 07, 2012 6:07 am

I don't feed sweet feed or oats so that doesn't concern me. I don't feed 30 pounds of anything except maybe hay in the dead of a super harsh winter.