10mo filly needs "plastic surgery"

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

DreamersPrincess
Yearling

10mo filly needs "plastic surgery"

Postby DreamersPrincess » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:32 pm

I appologize that this is off topic. This is about a standardbred filly born with a VERY rare deformity. She was bred for racing and the owner has been told by her vet that there is a surgery ($2k-$3k at OSU) that can correct this but the filly would not be able to race because of the pressure from the racing harness. The owner said that she's fairly well bred (good stud/average dam) and has already tried to pace in pasture (so this give potential for gaited horse?). The owner works out of a training barn and does not have the ability to keep her as a general riding horse, so the owner is offering her 'free to good home'.

Without the surgery, she is able to lead a normal life and is sound for riding (that doesn't require excessive wind due to restricted air path) or breeding (this is not a genetic condition) except that she would need frequent dental care by a equine dentists.

With the surgery her only limitation would be extreme pressure on the face... but sound for anything else.

I have never delt with a university, so my question is... is there any way to get her accepted as a teaching case (reduced/no fee?) OR are there any programs that might take her on to provide this surgery? I would hate to see a very pretty, perfectly healthy and energetic filly start down the 'rescue' path if it could be avoided. So I'm trying to see if there are any options that might enable her to have this surgery.

Any info or contacts, especially at OSU would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kami

ZiaLand
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ZiaLand » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:35 pm

Kami, the pic you posted of this filly made me sad. :cry: She looks like a real sweetie. How do they know the cause isn't genetic?

I don't have a lot of knowledge about the Universities and what they can and will do, but suggest you try writing a few and sending along this pic and the details you know about her history and condition. I'd include Michigan State University on the list, and maybe Colorado, as well. Good luck. She deserves a shot.

Laurie
So many pedigrees...so little time. (C)

DreamersPrincess
Yearling

Postby DreamersPrincess » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:00 pm

After more research, this is called wry nose. She is probably a mild example. They can do reconstructive surgery to straighten her bite, give better nasal air flow and a better cosmetic look. This can require multiple surgeries that are technically difficult. For horses who can nurse, eat and drink without any problems the surgery is not required. For those who are so severe that they cannot nurse, generally it is recommended they be put down.

The owner had said that it isn't genetic... but material I found said that it is not understood enough to tell if it is genetic or an issue from preasure while in the womb... most sites refer to it as the second (e.g. leg across the nose while still in the womb)... I also had fostered a horse with an eye deformity and could find NO information about the causes (genetic, fluke, etc)... I won't even breed my mare because she has sweet itch... so would never breed a physically deformed animal 'just in case'... I was passing on what the owner had told me. But I didn't find any cases where they described this being passed directly from one generation to the next and her dam and sire obviously are normal.

She is a very sweet and happy horse. Other horses are not put off or disturbed by her and she has a very normal attitude, except that she is a bit put off by having her mouth opened and examined... but I can understand that.

I did find out that the price quoted is a very good price and Universities generally put down donated horses for cadaver use (so not an option)...

Things are actually working out for this little filly. She has two potential options at this point. I know that God is looking out for her and something will work out. More will be known by the end of the week.

Gizmo
Suckling

Wry nose

Postby Gizmo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:52 am

Kami, how is she doing?? This is exactly what happened to my little filly (out of a TB) - although much more severe.

I was told it was either genetic, or caused by my mare receiving her WN vaccine during her pregnancy. You've answered some "possibilities" for me....thank you. This same mare is due any day now....crossing my fingers that it doesn't happen again.

I sure hope your little gal is doing well. :D

Gizmo

DreamersPrincess
Yearling

Postby DreamersPrincess » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:30 am

A place that has a history of helping horses with deformities was found, but in the end the owner decided to work out a way to keep her. So she is safe with her original owner who will probably keep her as God made her. I think this is the best outcome. (If I took her on, I wanted to have the surgery because I wouldn't have been able to keep her permanently.)

I am just now considering breeding for the first time and had always intended to keep the foal... but this little filly made me think seriously about it yet again. The basic stats around a healthy live foal, (for those breeding to sell) reaching yearling sales and (for those who race) achieving even a winning horse, not to mention a stakes horse are so daunting!

I'm sorry to hear that you also had a foal with this condition. I couldn't find any studies about the conditions of mares who deliver these foals, like had they beed stalled up because of winter... how many are first time foals, or did the mare have a history of normal foals before and after... were they pastured under power lines... nothing... I'm guessing that there aren't any easy commonalities that can be pointed to, or the universities would have jumped on the chance to publish a paper on the topic.

So, given that, I'm sure your new baby will be perfect.

Kami