When is the right time to break a horse?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

When is the right time to break a horse?

Postby ageecee » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 am

when it turns 2? or right before it turns 2 say in Nov/Dec?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:48 am

When the baby horse outweighs the rider by 5-1 :lol:

Here is what I have found that works pretty well for me. At birth we halter break and by the time they are two weeks old they are pretty well broke to lead. We also teach about brushes, combs, having feet picked up and cleaned out all in those first couple of months. After that they are only handled for worming, shots, routine stuff until they are 14 months old when they come in and start learning to wear equipment and lunge. Also to pony. By the time they are 16 months old, they stand for saddle, bridle, etc. We long line so they know how to turn and stop. When they get big enough, we back them - this is a very long drawn out process but you get a whole lot better horse out of the deal. Once they are really and truly broke we turn them out till they are 28 months or so and then we evaluate to see if they are ready for race training. You can't ask a 700 pound long yearling to carry a 210 lb cowboy with a beer gut.. so the hardest part of this is finding that burr-in-the-saddle 130 lb or so brave youngster that "wants" to do that part. A horse should not carry more than 20% of its own body weight (total, including saddle) and for youngsters I get more conservative than that.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....