devastating the coronel band

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

BenB
Sophomore Sire

devastating the coronel band

Postby BenB » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:43 am

Problem is: a gelding from an friend of mine is devasting his coronel band at his hind while galopping with his own front feet.

The gelding is 2 yrs old seize about 17.1 with an enormous stride, never seen before in 40 yrs

Jessi P

Postby Jessi P » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:06 am

Maybe he needs a better blacksmith?
Jessi P
330 383 1281
[email protected]

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:52 am

The front of his front feet has been trimmed to the max

TJ
Darley line

Re: devastating the coronel band

Postby TJ » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:49 pm

BenB wrote:Problem is: a gelding from an friend of mine is devasting his coronel band at his hind while galopping with his own front feet.

The gelding is 2 yrs old seize about 17.1 with an enormous stride, never seen before in 40 yrs

Hi Ben,
I'm assuming devasting means cutting or hitting? It could be he's just too big right now for his own good, may need to get stronger before you ask him to gallop. In any case the first thing you should do is equip the horse with square toe shoes in front if you're sure that's why he's hitting behind. Square toes are usually used on hind feet, but it could be an option in this case. Next bell boots should be put on all four feet to limit the concussion from the blows. Possibly cut some moleskin and apply it where he hits most severely under the boots as well. From your description of this horse he may be talented so give him time. I would jog him and stop galloping him for a while to eliminate the hitting (and pain). In doing so, affording his hind end a chance to get stronger. I would also jog him over low to the ground cavaletti's or for starters just a few common fence post laid on the ground. The lifting and placing motion involved will help his coordination and strengthen his hind end that much faster. TJ

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 pm

TJ I,ve figure out the same what you,re proposing.

In his only serious workout against a decent five yr old, the five yr old was eaten dust, so he might be a serious horse giving time.

He is cutting his coronel band seriously, unless very protective boots.

He is now back at the farm, for treating the wounds and giving rest.

The owner asked me what to do, as I was having a half stake in the geldings half sister (she is less talented, that,s for sure)

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:05 am

BenB wrote:TJ I,ve figure out the same what you,re proposing.

In his only serious workout against a decent five yr old, the five yr old was eaten dust, so he might be a serious horse giving time.

The owner asked me what to do, as I was having a half stake in the geldings half sister (she is less talented, that,s for sure)

Hi Ben,
I just thought he was in the galloping phase....if he's working all ready I would certainly discontinue that. Rest and time will heal the coronet bands....but he must do some exercise over the cavalettis (even at the end of a lunge line) to help his coordination and make his butt end stronger. When he returns make sure you glue moleskin patches under the bell boots to lessen the power of the blow. I think he will stop this if given some time to get his big body together and improve his coordination.....he's probably a bit too weak behind right now to clear away from his front on time.....build up his back end and he should improve.TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:55 am

Iam gooiing to his owner stay a weekend and built a lungeon ring, he is having a piece of cornland within two weeks the corn will be harvested and than I will teach the owner how to lungeon in the good and" apropiete"
way.

The gelding is big bodied about some 1350pds, with good seized feet and bones.

This one is worth while the trouble and the money to keep him in one piece at this moment.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 am

TJ wrote:
BenB wrote:TJ I,ve figure out the same what you,re proposing.

Hi Ben,
I just thought he was in the galloping phase....if he's working all ready I would certainly discontinue that. Rest and time will heal the coronet bands....but he must do some exercise over the cavalettis (even at the end of a lunge line) to help his coordination and make his butt end stronger. When he returns make sure you glue moleskin patches under the bell boots to lessen the power of the blow. I think he will stop this if given some time to get his big body together and improve his coordination.....he's probably a bit too weak behind right now to clear away from his front on time.....build up his back end and he should improve.TJ

Sorry about this, my error....TJ
Last edited by TJ on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:10 am

BenB wrote:Iam gooiing to his owner stay a weekend and built a lungeon ring, he is having a piece of cornland within two weeks the corn will be harvested and than I will teach the owner how to lungeon in the good and" apropiete"
way.

The gelding is big bodied about some 1350pds, with good seized feet and bones.

This one is worth while the trouble and the money to keep him in one piece at this moment.

Hi Ben,
Whew, that's a big boy....even more reason to jog and build him up behind, as well as the cavaletti's to help his coordination and power. Don't really need to build a round pen.....just lunge him on a short line and slowly get him used to jogging over the cavelettis. I wish you all the best with him....he's bigger than Forego was.....with half Forego's ability he'll be a good one!! TJ

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:39 am

Sounds like he just needs time to mature and get coordinated as TJ said. They didn't push Zenyatta and look how she turned out. :D Patience, patience, patience. Hopefully you don't have a trainer who likes to brag about "bullet works" at the track kitchen over coffee.
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:33 am

He is back at the farm for a rest, but we do not have any bulletsworks overhere
and we do not rate horses by the use of the watch (clock)

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 am

Once and a while he hits himself again, but scored two out of five this yr

Both of two wins came in the fall. I partnered for a small share in the spring of 2011. So not complaining

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:48 am

Thanks for the update. Look out next year. :)
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

Shammy Davis
Chef de Race: Classic

Postby Shammy Davis » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:19 pm

BenB
Sophomore Sire

Postby BenB » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:35 pm

Last time out, he was rewarded with a lot of weight after his second win in a row.So he is now, growing and resting at the farm from his majority owner/breeder.

w ehave tried several types of boots, but he is trained at an sandtrack in the woods. Loosses his boots regular.

He visited an orthopedic blacksmith, and got his backfeet trimmed short on the inside, that helped him a lot.