training issues with Appendix Colt grandson of Officer

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Brookec
Newborn

training issues with Appendix Colt grandson of Officer

Postby Brookec » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:13 pm

its been a while since i have posted on here but i have a colt well as of today gelding that is stumping me. He is a Grandson of Officer out of a Old jet deck line mare. (QH) wanting to send him to the track but have had 2 trainers send him back after bucking issues. he has really only had about 5 rides of which he was able to buck somone off each time! and these are seasoned riders. Does the Officer line have anything that sticks out as hard to train? I have had 5 others foals off this mare 2 winners on the track and 2 in barrel futurities and NO buckers! since he has been back on the farm he has a new farrier had chiro work done and now he is gelded!! any suggestions on a trainer in my area that handled bronc type starting LOL. yes but seriously stumped! I live on the alabama Tennessee state line and would love to see him race.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 am

Hi Brookec,
You have a PM. TJ

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:13 am

He might need one of those "Mustang Makeover" type horsemen. I don't know any down that far - E'town or Lebanon Junction maybe. These guys can usually work miracles in 30-60 days.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Honestly, 5 rides is nowhere enough training before going to the track, or were all 5 rides at the track? I never take one to the racetrack until they have had 60 days of breaking and galloping at the farm. At least 45 rides. Minimum. Good Luck!

xfactor fan
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby xfactor fan » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:30 am

What was the report from the chiropractor? Were any major soarness or sensitivity issues found? Ditto from the farrier?

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:19 am

You have already taken the first step.

And Madelyn's suggestion should be, in my opinion, next in line. I know a trainer in MD that will have him leading with a slack line within an hour and walking across a wooden bridge under saddle with in a month.

But Maryland is s long haul..

One last suggestion; stop feeding him grain and put him on free choie quality non alalfa hay while you are getting him under control. That will not hurt him, and will take the edge off. He may even gain weight with hay and exercise

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:03 pm

Brookec--as the above--the horse needs to be trained under saddle. can be done at the race track provided there's somebody there that specializes in breaking youngsters, or a trainer willing to under take the job. Otherwise, put ur rider up, hold the horse and get him used to something on his back. I recommend long reigning. I'd be more worried if it were doing anything other than bucking someone off in that environment. see how to train young horses here:
http://www.racinghorsesbook.com/

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:13 pm

ratherrapid, I assume you have read this book??? Apparently, you think it has merit??
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:22 pm

I have, and, it's excellent. Packed with info including detailed description and photos of O'Gorman's method of breaking yearlings. I've tried the method, and it's excellent. First time in my memory I was never dumped by the horse, and, with my present two to date, same deal, knocking on wood.

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:31 am

Found "BUCK" on Netflix a week ago and watched a second time last night

Highly recommend the video for horses people and horseless people

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]