Sudan Grass Straw For Feed

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LKR
Allowance Winner

Sudan Grass Straw For Feed

Postby LKR » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:17 am

There is some Sudan Grass that was baled after they harvested the seed.
It would be like wheat straw is after they harvested the wheat seed. Is there any value left in the sudan grass when it is put up this way? We would get it mainly as a filler, supplement the horses with protein tubs and vitamins. Alfalfa is so scarce here now that this might be an affordable alternative for fiber, etc. Give them something to munch on.
Anyone feed this before??
Kathie King
Little King Ranch
Home Of Top Account
Basket Weave
And The Buzz Horses

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:56 am

I would predict poor health and massive hay bellies.. there is likely virtually no nutrition left at all in stalks after seed head. You also run the risk of cyanide poisoning. This is an informative spot
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... tm#caution
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 am

The risk of cyanide poisoning is only during the growing period. This has been harvested and set for a couple of months in big bales. It was allowed to dry the seed heads before it was harvested for seed, then the windrows were baled. Basically, other than harvesting the seed, it was put up like alfalfa. I realize it will not have nutritional value to any great extent, I just wondered if anyone else has fed it.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:40 pm

cyanide poisoning occurs during the 'wilt" stage, just like with cherry tree leaves. There is no danger after it's dry, or eaten green.. Broken stalks that are in the wilt stage can be a problem.

However, Sudan grass does not even make decent hay even when cut green unless it's crimped, with a heavy crimper, so why are you wanting to feed dry mature stalks. It doesn't even make good bedding and is not a bargen even if it's delivered free.

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

LKR
Allowance Winner

Postby LKR » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:29 pm

Maybe this isn't what you would call straw. I pulled abunch of it out of a bale and it is fine small stems, some are even green, like grass, though dry. It is soft and smells almost like grass.
Kathie King

Little King Ranch

Home Of Top Account

Basket Weave

And The Buzz Horses

griff
Leading Sire

Postby griff » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 am

buy a balel and see how your horses like it.. If it's dry it's safe; however, recommend you make sure the seams are dry.

How much money will you save per bale, or per horse or per day??

griff
"We has met the enemy and he is us" [Pogo]

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Lot of Sudan hay out here. Mostly for cattle. Neighbor fed it for awhile (free choice) and his horses looked like Sudanese refugees. According to my vet it can case kidney problems if fed for very long and it is a big no-no for pregnant mares. Even if you are using it for bedding, who's to say they aren't eating it, too? I have never fed it.

Sylvie Hebert
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Sylvie Hebert » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Why try feeding unedible and known to be dangerous grass? I don't get it...
The sport and industry survive not only because of the champions that are remembered forever but also because of the losers that are so easy to forget...