Stifles

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Rez
2yo Maiden

Stifles

Postby Rez » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Does anyone here ever had a problem with stifles popping. If so what did you do to fix problem. Talked to vet and gave a range of choices from having them clipped to a shot to just rest and rubbing down every night.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:20 am

u might want to elaborate. problem, age of horse, activity, etc.

kimberley mine
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby kimberley mine » Fri May 03, 2013 8:08 pm

Get yourself the BEST farrier you can, and have your farrier square off the toes of the hinds as much as is reasonable for the horse. Think about wearing pointy-toed shoes versus square-toed shoes....the pointy toes are easier to pivot on the toe. In a horse, that puts more stress on the hind leg. Square toes keep the leg more stable.

If you don't want to inject, rest and ice. A Back on Track sheet may help, they're awesome.

If you live in an area with hills, start doing hillwork sets to strengthen the muscles around the stifle. Trotting up hills and walking down is great and brings serious cardio fitness as well.

gufman4
Weanling

Postby gufman4 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:40 am

I am a farrier and had a horse that his stifle would lock up a bit and seem to drag his leg, wasn't very fluid. You can try using a wedge on the hind, this help create more of an angle on the rear leg, most horses that have this issue are pretty straight in behind ( from stifle to hock ). Doing an internal blister will get you immediate results and with the combination of a wedged shoe will possibly fix your horses problem. Ultimately it is a confirmation issue and will need constant attention.

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:32 pm

I've had good luck with the combo of farrier and using 5cc of conjugated estrogen, IM, 2x a week 7 times (basically a full 35ml bottle of estro). Beats internal blistering or injecting the joint. Lots of trotting and daily backing up in hand 15-20 steps 2x a day in addition to the regular training schedule.

Blue feather
Allowance Winner

Postby Blue feather » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:54 am

I have had very good results with Surpass cream.

btcountess
Maiden Special Weight

Postby btcountess » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:05 pm

My trainer uses chiropractic and Maximum Performance.
Horses are pure love.