Fussy Eating Filly

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Fussy Eating Filly

Postby RandomThoughts » Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 pm

I have a talented, 4 year old filly in training who gives me fits trying to keep her eating.
I have tried Sucralamate, Gastrogard, changing feeds from a grain based to a beet pulp, and blood tests. I am currently feeding her Raceready, beautiful orchard grass and dairy quality alfalfa, folic acid and B12 supplements, and extra molasses on her feed. She has a sweet tooth!
She's been holding her weight well this spring as I have trained her up but suddenly she's out of the tub and I've slowed down her training. (Note: I am an easy does it train and walk trainer.)
I started her on an enzyme supplement my vet recommended today.
Any thoughts that you have would be appreciated.
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

Mood Swings
Grade II Winner

Postby Mood Swings » Thu May 30, 2013 9:54 am

I don't have much to offer in addition to what you have already tried/are doing. Sounds frustrating but it does sound like she is with the right person.

Best of luck!
"People come and go but horses leave hoofprints on your heart"

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Thu May 30, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi Random,
How are you and that new foal doing....hope all's well:>) Years ago we gave "B.E.L.L. Drops" to fussy eaters. It usually got them back in the tub...but I'm not certain it is still allowed? Yet I did find it being sold online, without any warnings....here's the link: http://www.bigdweb.com/Bell-Drops-15-Ml ... /#creviews More recently "Equine Body Builder" has been used with success, although it isn't billed as getting them into the feed tub...I've seen it really help. I believe it is legal, but I would check with the vet in your racing jurisdiction on use of both products. TJ http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 7Aod0hcAsQ

RandomThoughts
2yo Maiden

Postby RandomThoughts » Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi TJ and Mood:

I forgot to mention that she gets hand grazed about 45 minutes daily after training or walking too.

TJ: I'm pretty sure that anything with Belladonna would get me ruled off. I will study the other idea. The baby is rapidly leaving baby status. She has three sisters that range from 16 to 16.3. As soon as I can figure out the 10 steps to posting a picture I will. She is a tall, rangy, correct representative of Friesan Fire.

Thanks for your help.
The talented ones will give you an early hint.

ratherrapid
Grade II Winner

Postby ratherrapid » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:33 pm

what is it you're training the horse for? If it's racing there are a number of techniques to keep them eating depending on what's being done with the horse.

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 pm

how does she do when turned out for hours? Maybe she needs to be a horse for a while.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.