West Nile strikes my colt

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Michael
Allowance Winner

West Nile strikes my colt

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:29 pm

Just got the great news that a colt of mine was diagnosed with west nile virus today. Signs were poor eating, high temp and wobbler-like walking. What gets me is that this guy received FOUR rounds of WNV innoculations in the last five months! The vet believes the colt will survive, but at no small cost; the daily shots run $100 each and must continue until all signs have past.

Last year I attended a workshop on WNV and heard the speaker predict that the bird population which carries the disease would migrate south essentially along Interstate 5 and Highway 99. This colt is boarded at a farm one mile off Highway 99.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:43 pm

I thought Paso Robles was off the 101. Isn't the 99 more towards Bakersfield, Tulare, etc.?

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:08 pm

Have you contacted the company that made the WNV vaccine? Perhaps you got a weak dose,(doses) I would let then know right away. Good thing you caught it in time. I hope your boy gets better

chiggins6
Allowance Winner

Postby chiggins6 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:20 pm

Oh, Michael, I am sorry! What an discouraging expense, and how sorry for the horse. I wish you the best with that!

Cheryl
Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket!

louis finochio
Darley line

West nile virus

Postby louis finochio » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:22 pm

Atribene is used to treat malaria, ask your vet about using it on your TB.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Lucy

Postby Lucy » Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:46 pm

I hope the colt feels better soon. He has my sympathy - I had West Nile fever earlier this summer, and it's no fun at all!

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:21 pm

Thanks, all, I will pass this along. I've heard for two years that the vaccine is not fail-safe, but little did I think it would affect a horse of mine, especially one with four doses of it. Live and learn.

BJ--wrong farm! Thank God.

Sam
Chef de Race: Intermediate

Postby Sam » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:56 pm

In all seriousness, why so many doses in so short a time frame?

I thought WNV was something you only vaccinated for once every few months in hot zones and once a year in other areas?

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:08 pm

I believe the reason is that the farm has hundreds of trees in which the owner found many new species of birds this year, and there are quite a few ponds in which mosquitoes could breed. He just took the extra precaution of giving the extra doses in the hope that it would help fend off the virus. And, it may do so, because this horse hasn't yet shown any signs of immediate death.

He did tell me today that he found hundreds of dead birds on the farm in the last few days. Of the 100 plus horses on the place, only two have been stricken, and both appear as if they will pull through. Still, its way too early to celebrate.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:09 pm

Geez, Michael, that stinks. Nothing like doing everything like you think you're supposed to and then having something bad happen anyway. I hope your guy comes out of it all OK. I HATE mosquitos!

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:11 pm

Don't studies also show that vaccinated horses who come down with WNV are affected less and recover more quickly than non-vaccinated horses? At least you'll have that on your side.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:17 pm

That's a good question, Roguelet. I don't know. It sounds logical. I think we'll all learn alot more about WNV and its vaccine as the years advance.

One thing I would add is that in 2003 I vaccinated all pregnant mares in March after breeders were advised to do so. Within ONE WEEK, my best mare foaled a dummy foal, one mare aborted at 8 months, and one mare died two days after foaling (Bang's half brother). A good friend of mine vaccinated all her in foal mares and one week or so later a mare of hers foaled a deformed Swiss Yodeler colt. Could all be a coincidence; maybe not.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:28 pm

Huh... I've heard about the "lost foals group" and all that... I've vaccinated all of our prego's for the last three years and haven't had a single problem. I have asked some of the bigger farms around here and some vets, and they haven't seen any problems. It almost seems to be regional... either there are many problems in a given area, or none. It's scary stuff though... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Michael
Allowance Winner

Postby Michael » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:39 pm

Better watch that language, Roguelet, or someone will be asking you to give yourself the boot!

But seriously, you may be right about the regional effect. In my case, the three mares I mentioned had never been problem mares or had problem pregnancies. As it happened, the WNV informational meeting I attended was held just a week after these tragedies, so I asked the vaccine manufacturer if there might be any causal relationship possible. Of course, she minimized my concern, but I think I may be right without knowing why. Maybe in a few years more research will settle this question.

Lei Owen
Allowance Winner

Postby Lei Owen » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:12 pm

We vaccinated all of our bred mares last year. Then again this spring. We used Ft.Doge Innovator Killed vaccine. I had intended to use the Merial modified Live Virus because it was suppose to be better and you didn't have to give a booster. My vet didn't stock it, so we went with the Ft. Dodge.

We've been using Ft. Dodge since it came out. On all of our horses and have never had any adverse reaction's. Mare's have gotten in foal and carried to full term for healthy foal's.

I've only heard of half a dozen cases of finding dead bird's that tested postive for WNV in Arkansas. Lord only know's why we haven't had more, cause with the amount of rain we've had this spring, we sure have plenty of mosquito's.
Laissez les bon temps rouller!