pregant mare injured

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

brooke
Allowance Winner

pregant mare injured

Postby brooke » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:01 pm

a couple of days ago one of my pregnant mares, that is due may 1st, cut (pretty deep) the back of her front foot right under the fetlock. from the way the cut looked i am supposing she managed to hang it in our high tensile wire. ( hate this fencing) she did it sometime during the night and wasnt discovered till the next morning. you could trace the trail of blood all the way over about 6 acres to the barn and it appeared she lost alot of blood. and didnt want to stand. of course the vet came out to treat her and she's fine, just in a bit of pain, but should i be concerned about the foal, considering the amount of blood lost?" just curious if anyone else has had a mare get injured during pregancy.
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Re: pregant mare injured

Postby BJ » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:08 pm

brooke wrote:a couple of days ago one of my pregnant mares, that is due may 1st, cut (pretty deep) the back of her front foot right under the fetlock. from the way the cut looked i am supposing she managed to hang it in our high tensile wire. ( hate this fencing) she did it sometime during the night and wasnt discovered till the next morning. you could trace the trail of blood all the way over about 6 acres to the barn and it appeared she lost alot of blood. and didnt want to stand. of course the vet came out to treat her and she's fine, just in a bit of pain, but should i be concerned about the foal, considering the amount of blood lost?" just curious if anyone else has had a mare get injured during pregancy.

Did you ask the vet that question? I would certainly be concerned, if it was a serious amount of blood loss, affecting the health and possibly the brain of the foal. I'd be concerned also about getting through the healing process without a blood infection. Do horses get tetanus? I have a filly that is always hurting herself and she seems to heal slow, even though her bloodwork looks fine.

Is this the same mare that went missing in Alabama a while ago?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:51 pm

Yes, horses get tetanus, we keep a bottle of tetanus antitoxoid in the fridge and give shots for any kind of wound, plus it is in our annual shots. Re the mare, I would be more concerned with getting the wound treated, putting her in a padded stall, working for her comfort. You could try adding Red Blood or similar iron supplement to her feed for a few days, but you can bet the foal will get whatever it needs at the mare's expense. I would also be monitoring that mare's temp three x a day because if she spikes a good enough fever then all bets are off... you can use aspirin to keep that down. Good luck.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:12 pm

thanks so much for the advice!! so far everything seems to be going well with her now. shes eating better, up on her feet and running again and and has scabbed over and is looking pretty good around the area. and baby is kicking and seems to be unaffected as far as we can tell. as for the mare that went missing, this isnt the same mare. but the mare that did go missing is safe and sound and ill never send her off again to a farm i havnt checked out thoroughly. liked to have scared me to death and made me loose alot of respect for the farm and farm management.
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;

Now that's discouraging.