traveling with little ones

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

onalimb
Allowance Winner

traveling with little ones

Postby onalimb » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:48 pm

how far would you travel with a new babie. Mine were easy this year but I was wondering how far is safe (hours ?)
onalimb

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:54 pm

I have hauled quite a few mares with foals... I always drive as though I had a truckful of eggs. Provided they are hauled in a nice trailer that makes into box stalls, bedded to their knees in straw there is not much else, except that I stop every 2-3 hours to water, and I learned once the hard way to bring the water along in big plastic jugs 'cause they sure won't usually drink the stuff from the faucets at the gas stations. The youngest I have moved was 4 days old, with a totally neurotic owner beside me in the cab of the truck (drove me nuts), and when we got there, that filly was calmly nursing on her mama like nothing at all had happened....
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

FOS
Freshman Sire

Postby FOS » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:27 pm

hi onalimb...hello Madelyn

Sound advice madelyn...as you described...a box-stall bedded deep...water etc etc etc...and don't forget the quality hay (preferably the same or similar to what the mare is used to)...

...and onalimb...if shipping with a quality commercial carrier is the transportation of choice...they SHOULD know not to place a potential problem-horse close-by that "mom" might perceive as a threat to "junior."

And USUALLY the better horse-transport professionals will have an attendant travel "in-the-back" to make sure everything is not only under control...but also safe and comfortable...particularly for "mom" and her suckling.

I recommend...discuss everything (including your concerns) with various carriers when considering your options.

And why not ask the farm management where you intend to ship your mare and foal to...which shipper(s) they have had excellent experience(s) with...and the carrier(s) they recommend.

Respectfully

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:18 pm

thanks folks, This year was easy a hour 15 minute ride. Next year I'll be going out of michigan alot longer haul. I'm learning a lot thanks.
onalimb

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:40 am

Onalimb I'm in the same boat. Live in Ohio and wil shipping my mare to NY upon her foal heat with banbino at her side. We are shipping them ourselves...have shipped horses all over the country just nothing this young.

I asked this same question on the general threads. My concern was how to trailer...tie the mare or leave her loose....Loose was the majority rule.

good luck with your future shipping!
Fins to the Left....