Colostrum

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Gizmo
Suckling

Colostrum

Postby Gizmo » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:07 pm

A friend of mine is in need of colostrum. Can anybody tell me where I can find some....in a hurry??? And, what is the "going rate"???

Thanks for any help.

~Gizmo~

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:25 am

If I remember correctly, R&R or HDM used to provide it for clients, provided the bottle was returned full of fresh colostrum and in a timely fashion.
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:49 am

Where is your friend located? I know where there's plenty of Colostrum in Indiana... not sure if that would be helpful or not...
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Gizmo
Suckling

Postby Gizmo » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:32 am

Thank you both. I spoke with her this morning, and she thinks the mare may still be about a week out. She's very concerned because she has no bag. She knows the mare was pastured on fescue (until arriving at her barn), and wants to have the colostrum on hand (there's no place locally to get it).

She/we are outside of Ashland....right where the OH/WV/KY borders meet - on the Ohio River.

I will be traveling up to WI next weekend, and could stop and pick it up for her -- provided it's not too late. :wink:

~Gizmo~

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:43 am

I sent you a PM with the contact information that I have. Good luck! :)

"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

CS
Maiden Special Weight

Postby CS » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:14 pm

If the mare has been on fescue and does not have milk try putting her on Domperidone. It is a drug specifically for mares that need to produce milk. Works like a charm.

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:33 am

Often times goat breeders keep or freeze some so that they have some when someone needs it. I don't know if freezing alters the immunity helpers in it or not, someone on ths post likely knows more than me on this on. But I did know a breeder who was able to supply those in need of colostrum.

jL
Maiden Special Weight

Re: Colostrum

Postby jL » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:07 am

Gizmo wrote:A friend of mine is in need of colostrum. Can anybody tell me where I can find some....in a hurry??? And, what is the "going rate"???

Thanks for any help.

~Gizmo~

You can get replacement colostrum from most feed stores. Also, foals born to mares who are not producing colostrum can be given plasma. Have your friend talk to her vet.