equine herpes?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

susanh
Yearling

equine herpes?

Postby susanh » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:20 am

Hi, one of the vets in the practice that takes care of my horses puts just about everything down to equine herpes. Now he is saying my OTTB's sore back is related to this. Anyone have an opinion? This guy does have the nickname "voodoo man" for his reported (I have never seen him do this) propensity for acupuncture and lighted needles. I had to have him in this week because my horse's back is sore (and the vet/chiropactor I wanted was unavailable) and he treated me like I was stupid, wouldn't explain much of anything to me, insisted on doing treatment I did not ask for, and in the end it's all related to equine herpes and the horse is on Lysine (not a bad product). Also without seeing my saddle, he insisted the saddle is not fitting him over his withers but the saddle is out right now being restuffed at the rear end due to an accident. I did have the saddle fitted a week and a half ago and the it was fine on the withers. So, can my horses back be equine herpes? Can't find a thing on the internet that discusses this as an aspect of equine herpes! Thanks in avance.

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:03 am

Sounds a bit off-track... you can have your horse tested (called EVA) but unless he has ever been bred it is not likely he has it....
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:48 pm

As much as I like acupuncture, your non-communicative vet sounds like a quack.

Take it for what it's worth.
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

sstacy19
Allowance Winner

Postby sstacy19 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:29 am

I don't know about all of that?? but my question is this...how contagious is eva?? there is a pretty popular stallion that has herpes...he is in the midatlantic now after starting his stud duty in Kentucky. I saw his "sores' first hand, while they were washing him for breeding a mare :shock: I couldn't believe (I was younger and naive) so what is the chance of your mare getting it from a horse like this? I have never looked at the number of foals he produces each year..I should. hmm
"The blood runs hot in the Thoroughbred and the courage runs deep.
In the best of them, pride is limitless. This is their heritage and
they carry it like a banner. What they have, they use."

---C. W. Anderson

susanh
Yearling

Postby susanh » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:44 am

Equine herpes isn't like people herpes. EHV is what we call Rhino, but my vet seems to think it causes everything. EHV is very contagious and there is a vaccination for it but it is not considerd 100%. My horses are vaccinated for it every year. There are several variations of EHV and it can kill your horse depending on the type. Lots of info on EHV on the net.

To update on my OTTB. I was fortunate enough to be able to take him for another chiropractic assessment, by a vet from New York who comes to Ontario occasionally. She was awesome: she explained everything she was doing, was very thorough, and has produced some really good results. Bad news: he will likely not show this year. By the time he is ready, most of his season will be done. Also I need a new saddle. (For those of you who are H/J- the term Delgrange made my eye tick!) ...He went psycho on her when she acupunctured his withers. NEVER seen him like this. Took out a fence rail and reared. Scary. When she took the needles out, they looked like corkscrews. She definitely hit some serious issues. She said that it was likely good he was wearing the saddle when he went over in the crossties. She likened it to going off your bike with a helmet on vs. without one. Probably saved his withers although he does have pain there. She seemed very optimistic that he will be good again. She had to fix up his pelvis, his back, something at the top of his head. He is running out in his paddock now in a way that I haven't seen him do recently. Legs seem much freer, more ease of motion. Front legs far more forward when he puts on the gas from one end of his paddock to the other. Less fussy about his head being touched. Back legs go up same height when you first put him out and goes bouncing and bucking off into his paddock. I know there is still work to do, but I am hopeful for him. He really gives his all out in the ring, and he deserves to be fixed. It is not the end of the world for him to take one year off. He is only 10 this year. We may do some shows later in the year IF he is ready, just to keep his mind on the issue. Well, so he won't go to the championships (that will actually make some of his competitors happy! :lol: ) but my daughter is starting univeristy this fall anyway and championships are the same week as orientation. Maybe it's fate. Will 100% see this vet from New York again. She has her act together. Very impressive. Have cancelled all other appointments made by first vet...

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:56 pm

Try treating his back problem with MSM, it works great on TB, ask your vet for the dosage.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

susanh
Yearling

Postby susanh » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:05 am

I appreciate your thoughts on this but he has been on MSM for quite some time. Sadly we can no longer buy DMSO over the counter here. We are using arnica gel now, but he's made such a stunning recovery in recent weeks, it's almost irrelevant. His recovery is magnificent. The vet that came from NY and worked on him is tops in my books. Now we need to get him back in shape and see if is stays as good as he is. Unfortunately for him, he seems to think he is living a happy "retirement". :)

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:00 pm

Did you have your TB on DMSO liquid or was it MSM powder?
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio

susanh
Yearling

Postby susanh » Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:48 am

MSM powder (with glucosamine etc,) can't get DSMO liquid here unless your vet will sell it to you. $10,000 fine for anyone selling DSMO in any form over the counter. I have a small bit left of DMSO gel. Absolutely fabulous stuff.