Signs of Heat while in foal?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

LC
Maiden Special Weight

Signs of Heat while in foal?

Postby LC » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:50 pm

For the second year in a row, my mare is showing signs of heat (spreading legs, lifting tail, milky discharge, and winking) after ultrasound revealed pregnancy. She is and was on regumate. Ultrasound was 3-31 and last date bred was 3-13. What are the chances she's actually in heat and/or NOT in foal?

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:18 am

You said "for the second year in a row." How did it turn out last year? Was she actually still in foal, or was she in heat? I would say to look at last year's answer for a clue... mares have a way of staying somewhat steady in their signs from year to year. Let us know!

(How's that for a "non-answer?") :wink:
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:16 am

LC both the mare that I lost and the mare I have now did that quite a bit. In fact, when I purchased my new mare, in foal, when she came to me she was "squirting" all over the place, being quite a hussy in fact. I was concerned she may have lost the foal, had her ultrasounded and she definitely was still in. She did it non-stop through the whole pregnancy. Turns out, she is just a tramp.....lol....as I have found out recently. HAD to have her bred recently for the safety of other horses she is around as well as herself!

austique
Grade I Winner

Postby austique » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Briarhalo,

I had to laugh. I had one just like that. The first time we sent her to be bred the farm called up and was like "What a slut". She showed signs of heat 365 days a year.

brooke
Allowance Winner

Postby brooke » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:07 pm

one of my QH mares is the same way, she'll tease a stud foal or not in foal actually right now she's at 341 and today she was doing her normal lifting the tail and winking at the boys!! LOL
There will be discouraging times. But a life without horses;
Now that's discouraging.

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:24 am

Here is the really funny part about this mare. Ok, she has broken fences 4 times in the past month to get in with her love, who is a gelding......she doesn't seem to be interested in the colt, who actually has the plumbing. Anyway, we were planning to get her up to Fort Erie on the weekend....this is a 3 to 4 hr drive with trailer. So, Wednesday, again trying to get in with "Ed" tears her shoulder open. Ok, now in heat, I'm thinking plans are blown for weekend breeding. I plan to have vet come on Friday see if a follicle.....see where to go from there. I get phone call from hubby noon on Friday (vet coming at 2). Skye has ripped her eye. Lovely. Again, broke fence, before hubby had chance to fix, stuck her head through, voila.......found a nail. Needless to say, vet comes, stitches her up, cleans shoulder wound again, palpates......lo and behold follicle now perfect to breed, can't wait to Saturday. So, for the safety of the rest of the horses and our farm and not to mention Skye, we loaded her up right away and took her to have the deed done. I have to admit I was embarrassed because she was going to the same person who sold her to me and she sure looked beat up and battle scarred. I hope she appreciated it and it took, we got home at 4 am. Nope, hubby not impressed. I guess we will just have to keep this mare bred!