Yearling Size

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Yearling Size

Postby Ruffian » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:51 pm

Didn't know if anyone could shed some light on what I might be expecting for my yearlings' height to be right around now- Every one I look at is so different, and I have recently acquired a filly that is very much on the small side- about 13.2 h, late April foal. But I have a colt whom is about 14.3h and burly... :D Anyone got any opinions on WHAT I should do to get the filly going stronger- or is this okay? (she is bred as a possible 2yo so isn't even late-maturing ped) :?:

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:53 pm

:lol: pretty unpredictable, I have one that is maybe 13.3 in heels and one that is bumping 16h!! There is a measurement on the front cannon that will predict the eventual height in hands... No secret in getting them to grow... plenty of good food, water, turnout.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:53 am

Thanks- Maybe it is just down to the fact she is a late foal- and didn't get the same attention mine got as a foal :?

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Fri May 06, 2005 9:10 pm

My filly is a late april foal. She's 14 hands at the withers and 14.2 at the hip. Both parents were right around 16 hands.

Karie
Grade III Winner

Postby Karie » Sun May 08, 2005 10:57 am

OH!! I thought my filly was small.. She is a May 16th 2004 baby and is 14.2 at the withers... I'm glad to know she is right on target.

Mom is about 15.3 and WIDE and dad is a good 16.2...

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Sun May 08, 2005 11:09 am

Karie here is a pic of her-

I have now measured them and she is about 14 h in front a bit more behind and the colt is about 15.2h - what the naked eye sees and what the stick sees!!! lol

The colt is scary big though he is absolutely huge! :shock:

Karie
Grade III Winner

Postby Karie » Wed May 11, 2005 7:16 pm

Very Pretty filly!!! What is her breeding? She looks very nice! Nice beautiful head :)

I don't have any recent pics of mine.. I will have to get one and post it.. She is finally almost shed out. And she is a handful!

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Thu May 12, 2005 6:02 am

She looks good overall, so I wouldn't worry. I would be MORE concerned about a youngster growing too quickly... a pet peeve of mine. Too much weight on their joints, etc etc etc. Mine don't look like sale prepped yearlings (who sometimes look like fat 3YOs,) but I know they're strong and sound. (Obviously this doesn't mean starving them or stunting their growth, but it's apparent by the picture that's not the case.)

To address your question more specifically, each year I enjoy watching the yearlings change and grow, each at their own different pace. The runt usually ends up taller than the others at some point, and one day you look at the one who you thought would be small and realize he's huge... they all just have growth spurts at different times, so that makes them look smaller/taller than the others depending on where they all are on their personal growth curves. We have 6 yearlings out here right now, and they are constantly changing height order based on who has had the latest growth spurt. :lol:

My advice is just make sure the yearling has the appropriate amount of feed (not too much, not too little,) then sit back and watch her grow and change at her own pace. I'll bet she'll surprise you.
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Thu May 12, 2005 8:08 am

She is actually looking better daily (and looking more 'horse' than the two colts who look like over grown ponies :lol: )
We had a really harsh winter- up and down weather - and still only hitting about 12 degrees celsius high during the day- IN MAY- another story.

So most still have their winter coats or like her half off, so I think that was one of the major issues with her- I was expecting in March her to spurt and everyone else like crazy but no- so the grass has been growing good here for about 2 weeks- so I am thinking by end of July time she should be at least getting there. :)

fernhollow
Maiden Special Weight

Postby fernhollow » Sun May 15, 2005 5:21 pm

What and how much are you feeding them at this age? When do you start them on alfalfa? Also, how often do you worm them?

reenci
Grade II Winner

Re: Yearling Size

Postby reenci » Sat May 21, 2005 2:20 pm

Ruffian wrote:Didn't know if anyone could shed some light on what I might be expecting for my yearlings' height to be right around now- Every one I look at is so different, and I have recently acquired a filly that is very much on the small side- about 13.2 h, late April foal. But I have a colt whom is about 14.3h and burly... :D Anyone got any opinions on WHAT I should do to get the filly going stronger- or is this okay? (she is bred as a possible 2yo so isn't even late-maturing ped) :?:
your judging from the outside...whats more importnt is whats in the inside {heart}....i would rather have an athletic smaller horse than a huge clumsy sonofagun.
A great man cannot help himself," "He can see things that other men cannot see themselves, and his greatness lies in doing whatever is necessary to make his vision real

Ruffian
Starters Handicap

Postby Ruffian » Sun May 22, 2005 3:32 am

She is looking lots better now- albeit still 'fine' I suppose--- Had a scare with her last night though she got some type of colic like behaviour- thankfully she is over it to day :P I'll post more pictures as she has almost shed out now. :roll: ALMOST!!!!!!!!!! and then I hear CA is going to be 105 (in Valencia area) today :evil: And we are about 14 degrees celsius windy & rainy... poor horses.