cystic follicle

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

StealingKat
Allowance Winner

cystic follicle

Postby StealingKat » Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:20 am

What do I need to know about this? I was just notified from the stud farm that my mare has been palpated and appears to have a cystic follicle. Any info would be fantastic!
Judith
Always bet on the grey!!

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:19 pm

You posted 8 months ago, but I didn't know if you still wanted/needed responses.

I'm not sure if it's the same with horses as it is in humans, and I'm not a vet or doctor, but humans with cysts on the ovary follicles usually go on hormone therapy (AKA birth control) and often the cysts will eventually reabsorb. The risk of course, is that if the cyst is large enough, it could twist the ovary, or if the cyst ruptures, it could be really bad for one's health. Surgery is usually the last option taken if the cysts don't reabsorb, the danger being taking out too much ovarian tissue, the formation of scar tissue, or somehow bleeding excessively and hence resulting in the removal of the entire ovary. Often, these cysts are monitered via ultrasound. They are known to affect estrous cycles, at least in humans. They can be painful and be quite a nuisance.
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

StealingKat
Allowance Winner

Postby StealingKat » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:24 pm

Thank you so much for the reply. They ended up squishing it? (I am sure there is a long drawn out term :) The mare ended up having twins, one was terminated and she is currently in foal. The bad news is she is selling at Keenland to cover my bills.... This is not a mare that I wanted to sell but she is my most marketable :( Been a rough year sigh....
Always bet on the grey!!

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:36 pm

In my case, the only horse I happen to own is a filly and I'd be heartbroken if I had to sell her. Congrats on her being in foal, though :) Apparently twinning isn't as rare as some people thought it was? How are the holidays treating you thus far?

StealingKat
Allowance Winner

Postby StealingKat » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:42 pm

Holidays have been exceptional but it would be great if the rain would stop, I'm having to bath the children weekly to keep them healthy :) We have mud up to our ears and the chip truck can't get in until the rain stops. I literally have mud up my back when I come in from outside, crazy but fun. The babies have to walk nicely with me when I put them to paddock or they slip and fall. LOL interesting breaking technique but at least it works :) Hope you had a great holiday too :)
Judith
Always bet on the grey!!

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:01 pm

Lol, aren't muddy pastures fun? The one at my college always tries to steal my boots, but it's always more fun trying not to disappear in the mud. And as you said, it's quite entertaining watching the horses try to stay upright. I was surprised that none of them developed thrush, even when they were turned out for 17 hours a day.

The holidays went well here, and when I visited my filly today, I smiled when I saw a stocking on her stall door with some peppermints and a candy cane in it. Up here at home, about an hour from both my college and the barn, it's been icy so turnout has been limited to the indoor arena. I love all the fuzzy coats on the horses though!