orphan foal with scours

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Gerry
Grade II Winner

orphan foal with scours

Postby Gerry » Tue May 03, 2005 5:52 pm

Lenny was doing well until I went to feed him tonight and he has diarrhea pretty bad. Temp is normal, gums look good, but he is a little lethargic (still ran the aisle way of the barn which I was happy to see and he was still trying to kick me) and when I gave him his dinner he didnt eat at all. He was 3weeks old yesterday, had his mother for the 1st 7 days and had light scours at 11 days but a dose of Fastrack and he was good to go. I gave him Fastrack tonite (nearly got my finger bit) ...anyone else have any ideas, suggestions, things I should be looking for??

Thanks

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Wed May 04, 2005 5:28 am

Try Pepto-Bismal to slow it down. 60 cc in the mouth every 4 hours or so till corrected. Continue with fast track. Keep an eye open for possible ulcer problems being he is an orphan.

marg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby marg » Wed May 04, 2005 6:34 am

We have raised 3 orphans and we used pepmal-bismal also but one was so bad we did have the vet and he gave her a shot .I can not remember what he used as she was the first and it was many years ago.All 3 survived though if that is any encouragement.Good luck,Marg

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed May 04, 2005 8:47 am

I get the huge bottles of Kaolin for livestock; 30 cc's twice a day, oral, and start them on SMZ's right away. More than 1-1/2 days, still runny, call the vet. Could be eColi....
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Crystal
Freshman Sire

Postby Crystal » Wed May 04, 2005 10:41 am

Hi Gerry,
boy do I remember the smell of scours.. Still makes me dizzy. We always used the pepto paste and probios paste.

How are the new studs doing? Getting alot of mares?

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Wed May 04, 2005 6:02 pm

Thanks everyone...Lenny is about the same, vet said to give him a shot of penicllin (sorry very tired cant spell) and of banamine and see how he is tomorrow. Could it be that he is just eating too much or too fast? I feel sorry for him (yes Crystal....he smells and he knows it) He is totally NOT lethargic at all...running around, jumping, bucking and kicking but just not his normal self....I will try the pepto thanks and maybe go to the local agway and pick up Kaolin. I am concerned about dehydration but so far he seems ok with that...

Will get you posted and appreciate any and all suggestions....17yrs of breeding/foaling and this is my 1st orphan...I think I am an overprotective mom!

Crystal...the boys are doing super but Not A Corgi is getting the mares, some really nice ones have come to him and with his speed I cant wait for his 1st crop to hit the races.

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Thu May 05, 2005 10:28 am

Gerry I too had a colt orphaned at 7 days, so sorry to hear of this. Anyway, when we treated his scours, we used Yogurt. It worked just fine and he quite liked it too!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu May 05, 2005 10:33 am

If you're worried about dehydration, in addition to Kaolin and Penicillin/antibiotics, you could throw some electrolyte crystals in his water and a handful of minerals into his feed.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Thu May 05, 2005 6:50 pm

Lenny has taken a small turn for the worse, but being so young we know that a small turn can become deadly quickly. He is very lethargic but still wants to kick me and whinnies when he hears me walking. Spoke to the vet again today, took him off penicillin and gave him 7cc of Nexcel instead and 1/4 tab (powdered form) of bute. He is ate about 75% of his milk replacer and a little grain...tonite he stuck his nose in the milk replacer and maybe had 3 swallows and ate a little grain....will be giving him pepto in the morning depending if.......

saying prayers I hear him whinny in the morning as I walk into the barn!

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Fri May 06, 2005 5:24 am

I hope he's okay. :(
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Fri May 06, 2005 5:36 am

Did he ever get vaccinated for rotavirus? Scours from rotavirus have an EXTREMELY rank smell and the foals tend to be good one day and bad the next.

For dehydration, I would tube him with fluid and electrolytes or at least have the vet put IV fluids in him.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

briarhalo
Allowance Winner

Postby briarhalo » Fri May 06, 2005 8:22 am

Gerry, your foal is in my prayers......hope all is well. Claire

Green Hills
Starters Handicap

Postby Green Hills » Fri May 06, 2005 8:43 am

Gerry,

Update us and let us know how the little one is doing...please. We're all pulling for him.

Karie
Grade III Winner

Postby Karie » Fri May 06, 2005 4:51 pm

Gerry- I too am praying for little Lenny!
I hope he is ok..

- Karie

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Fri May 06, 2005 6:10 pm

Keep Lenny in your thoughts and prayers...I was sure this morning that we were going to lose him today but the little guy is a real fighter. Still depressed/lethargic but alert enough to know when I am watching him and when I'm not. We are going to do IV Fluids tomorrow (vet says she can show me and I can do it myself....ok I am worried about this step always feel better with the vet here) but only if IV is necessary he seems not to be overly dehydrated but has lost some weight and I miss "EVIL LENNY" the nasty side of Lenny. He is eating from the creep feeder but really doesnt want any milk replacer and is drinking water. I am hoping that the Naxcel is working (it seems to be) and with everything the little guy is getting I can only pray for a good outcome.
Will keep everyone posted