Thyroid deficiency

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

thorohorse
Weanling

Postby thorohorse » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:33 am

Hi Tucumcari,

This could be possible. I dont know on a scientific level but I have a Mare that has been on it for years now and I have often wondered if I haven't seen this pattern with her. But having said that, let me ask this! If they truely need it, is there any alternatives to it?
Sometimes the simplest thing can make all the difference.

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:47 pm

Not that I know of... maybe someone else does...
I think the point the vet I was talking to is that it is an effective supplement but there are some (supposed) effects with long term use... more long term use...
So can it be used in short increments until the bloodwork is normal and then suspend usage? If so how long does the body remain within the normal levels while without the supplementation before the body requires help, OR is a kick start all that is really needed?

thorohorse
Weanling

Postby thorohorse » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:33 am

Certainly you would want to regulate it. But other than a good visual, which isn't always accurate, it might be a good idea to repeat the test every 20 to 30 days. I have worked with four different vets with this problem and each one of them have mass experience with Horse. Yet nearly all are different in there dosage. You really need to know your horse and make some decisions of your own.
Sometimes the simplest thing can make all the difference.

slowpony
Newborn

thyroid insufficiency

Postby slowpony » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:47 pm

I only know for sure about hyypothyroidism in humans, but I can't imagine that any other mammal would be different. I have hypothyroidism and I must take suplements of levothyroxin for the remainder of my life. If I didn't I would probably weight close to 300 lbs and be practically comatose. I expect that the improvement in the looks and disposition of the horse would be likewise. Maintaining a constant dose in your horse would be a good idea. I don't think this malady is something that is ever 'cured'.