guttoral pouch infection

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jean
Allowance Winner

guttoral pouch infection

Postby Jean » Mon May 23, 2005 5:31 am

HAve a horse diagnosed and treated by a veterinarian but no follow up care according to him. Any ideas on if there should be and how does a horse get it in the first place and what can be done to prevent it from reoccurring?

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Mon May 23, 2005 7:31 am

Hard to tell from your post what you are asking.... but I can't believe a vet treated a guttural pouch infection and did not leave you with a course of follow up antibiotics, maybe some bute in case of fever, etc. etc.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Karie
Grade III Winner

Postby Karie » Mon May 23, 2005 9:27 am

With my horse I received Smz's and Bute, Bute and more Bute! But he had a couple other issues too....

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Mon May 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Any sort of infection should be treated with at least 10 days of SMZ's or penicillin.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Tue May 24, 2005 5:19 am

THey kept him at the clinic, flushed his gutturol pouch for 3 days, that was it. When I asked about follow up they said none. I am concerned and that is why I brought it up on this board as I felt surely something more would be in order and that someone on here had experience with the problem.

Roguelet

Postby Roguelet » Tue May 24, 2005 6:00 am

We had a filly come down with a gutteral pouch infection last year at the racetrack. They had to do multiple flushes and tons of medicating... it seemed as soon as we thought she was over it, it would return. It took forever to get rid of it... we pretty much lost that whole meet. I don't know if they are typically that difficult to get rid of or if we were just lucky. :roll: I can't imagine everything being A-OK after only three days of flushing. However, not knowing the severity of the case or exactly what was used in the flush, it's hard to say. I would recommend asking a different vet for a second opinion if you're worried about this. Good luck!
"Don't be a boorish buffoon" -Hokies Respect 'Jerk Alert'

jellac
Grade I Winner

Postby jellac » Sun May 29, 2005 2:36 pm

I had a colt darn near die after a strenuous workout with a gutteral infection that hadn't been detected - he all but collapsed on the apron after turning in a stinker of a time....

It still took a month or more of me fretting and insisting that something just wasn't right with this horse...and three different vets' inspections...before I got the 'right' diagnosis. Once diagnosed he was flushed twice with a solution that contained a natural, herbal 'antibiotic' - I want to say "tea tree oil" or something but can't really recall now - and simultaneously he was given a mild course of a broad spectrum antibiotic to help end any residual source of re-infection that might have been lingering in his system.

He was like a changed creature two weeks later - back to his old high energy, playful self, but we went ahead and gave him a good 5 months off at the farm. I think it's just a matter of the individual and their overall state at the time of the infection being treated. I think in his case being let down at the farm for a month and a half before he was diagnosed and treated may have allowed him to de-stress and his own natural immune system to pick up a notch, helping him throw off entirely what had led to the GPI.

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Sun May 29, 2005 6:30 pm

Raw garlic will kill any infection but you have to go slow and easy with it when you start using it.

Chop up a clove and put it in your feed tub and mix molasses or honey to hide the taste of garlic. You can gradually add more garlic as it will kill the infection. With antibiotics a TB can have a relapse of the same problem down the road.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Cheryl
Suckling

Postby Cheryl » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:05 pm

I have had 2 TB mares with it. We did flush them and gave penicillin, I was told it was akin to strangles.
cheryl

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:28 am

From what I have been led to believe this infection cannot be touched by antibiotics because of a special construction of the guttoral pouch. Any thoughts on this?

sulphurfire
Allowance Winner

Postby sulphurfire » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:28 am

OKay here's two different links that explain about guttural pouches and what type of infections that occur with them.
http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/rirdc/article ... tural.html

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 121323.htm
"The rewards, whether for winning or for losing, offer almost irresistible temptations to race a two-year-old more times than are good for them." John Hay Whitney at the annual testimonial dinner in October 1963 for the Thoroughbred Club of America

Pete
Grade I Winner

Postby Pete » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:01 pm

Sulphurfire,

Thanks for the links.

Pete