Pin firing

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jean
Allowance Winner

Pin firing

Postby Jean » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:55 am

After a horse is pin-fired are there specific care issues? A friend had a horse pinfired without their knowledge by a trainer and has brought it home but due to bad relations now feels uncomfortable contacting the trainer. He is wrapping the leg with sterile bandages, and is considering cold hosing.

thorohorse
Weanling

Postby thorohorse » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:50 am

Jean, I'm surprised no one has answered this for you. Tell your friend that they should daily be painting Betadine over the pin fired area. Use light down ward strokes with a brush. Just enough to keep the fired area covered. Once this is done a fresh first aid gauze (roll) then the standing badage. Do not put water on it! this application should be done for at least 10 days. As the days move on the infected area will become hard (scurf) and the holes will appear closed. If the firing was done properly and the care after wards is done correctly there should be almost no swealing to mention. Once you have gotten beyond this point, you can then apply the water hose but use very little pressure and begin to apply furizone by dabbing it on (not rub or work in). Then place a thin layer of sheet cotton and standing bandage. This will take the scurf off. Keep in mind not to force the scurf off, for this is part of the healing process. You'll know when this application has done it's job by observing the condition of the leg. Keep in mind that this is not an over night process so be patient.

Jean
Allowance Winner

Postby Jean » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:30 am

Thank goodness someone replied, my freind has been rebandaging daily and it doesn't look bad but the colt has scratched up 2 holes by pulling on the bandage, had a bib and cradle on too!! Will tell her immediately.

thoroughbredchick
Newborn

Why are horses Pinfired?

Postby thoroughbredchick » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:43 pm

I have a seven year old off the track mare, who has obviously had pinfiring done before. I have heard that it is an unnecessary procedure from some people. I have also heard that it makes tendons stronger. I would just like to know a little bit more about it.
Thanks! :D

thorohorse
Weanling

Postby thorohorse » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:25 am

Hi TC

"pinfiring . I have heard that it is an unnecessary procedure"

I think that decision is up to the individual in charge. Remeber... no one Horse is the same as another. Certain things may come into play when making this decision. Size of said Horse, type of training surface it will re-enter training on, actual movement and confirmation of horse. And of course what type of medical treatment you might decide upon while giving the Horse the time off that it needs. Does this sound like algebra? With all the new tecnics and advancements in science, sometimes there's nothing like good ole fashion "as barbaric as it may sound" pin firing. Keep in mind that if done correctly there should be very little pain to the animal (not saying they won't be un-comfortable) The reason for this being is that when pin firing the Vet will/should only be going deep enough to where it is burning the nerve endings while performing the procedure.

"makes tendons stronger"

They call this cross firing and I havent seen it done in years. You'll know it when you see it's been done. This is something I would never do "especially if there is nothing already going on with the tendon" Best way to make a tendon stronger is to not put any over due stress on it. Correct angle of foot, proper shoeing, good basic training and a good diet. All of this from a very young age and continued through out there life. Daily inspection such as close visual and palpation is the best way too catch a problem tendon before they become more serious. Most people like to blister them if they have a problem but rest! rest! and more rest! For the tendon that has been compromised. My opinion on the people that have been succesful with already injured tendons are people that are diligent in the after care such as ice every day, poultice, paint (depending on the stage and age of the injury) the natural confirmation of the Horse and close attention to the training. Theres a fine line between under and over doing it. Oh did I mention a lot of luck?
Sometimes the simplest thing can make all the difference.

thoroughbredchick
Newborn

what does it look like?

Postby thoroughbredchick » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:48 am

When we got my horse she had white dots all over her tendons. Is this pinfiring or crossfiring? :D

thorohorse
Weanling

Postby thorohorse » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:51 am

Thats an actual pin firing. Cross fireing would look like someone had set it on a BBQ grill. Excuse the discription
Sometimes the simplest thing can make all the difference.