Anybody ever use that new digestive product Succeed?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

TBHorseNut
Suckling

Anybody ever use that new digestive product Succeed?

Postby TBHorseNut » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:51 am

Looking for anyone that's used it and what they thought???

THANKS! :lol:
Quality TB prospects for sale; realistic prices. www.tbhorsenut.com

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:20 pm

I'm curious about the stuff too.
Didn't I see an ad on Zito's "fence" and ads with him endorsing it the product in the form?. Hmmm

TBHorseNut
Suckling

Yep!

Postby TBHorseNut » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:18 am

Zito is "in the irons" for Succeed as they say... :lol:

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi Ashleigh... :)

Yes I have used it and loved it. Currently buying mine from BIG D's

My 13 yr old gelding with ulcers can be a real pain in the butt as far as weight. He will also stall walk when hes in pain...the succeed has helped him tremendously. I also have a trainer friend at the track using it on a few of her more nervous hard keeper type horses. Shes also pleased. My yearling will be leaving here to be broke in the fall she will leave with a case or two. I'm hoping to prevent any diagestive issues.

BTW I had to cut back how much grain my horses were getting after starting with the Succeed. My hard keeping gelding is now on the first diet of his life!
Fins to the Left....

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:41 am

I've never heard of it but understand it's fairly new on the market. The only other place I've read anything about is from the COTH forum (Horses Health) whereby an individual starting using it upon the recommendation of her vet for a horse with repeated bouts of colic.

Here's the info on it from SmartPak Equine-

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClassDescription.aspx?productClassId=2755

According to the ingredients it's an all natural product and along the lines of a probiotic, to maintain proper gut flora management. There is a warning to anyone additionally using any other supplement(s) that may effect the pH balance.

As TBLady suggested, I would *think* that a product such as this would benefit any horse with indications of ulcer or irritated stomach mucosa. Price wise, it's on the pricey side, but if it works to the benefit of the horse once would think it's worth the money and the avoidance of vet care/management of a hard keeping horse. JMO :)

myheartsezyes
Maiden Special Weight

Postby myheartsezyes » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:58 am

Ok guys her it goes, I thought when we started using it it was a joke, The one filly we used it on never ate nothing, skinny as can be, I mean an embarrassement to go to the races. Then we have a nicer filly (Meaning a better caliber of running horse) I put on it. I did not notice any difference until about 30 days. Let me tell you something now, both fillys eat everything and they love to see the tube of succeed come to there mouth. Smells like oatmeal cookies. so for $100.00 bucks a month it is worth the money.

Marli
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Marli » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:04 am

Very good, glad to hear those that have used it do see an improvement, it evidently does provide some relief and is inducive to a better appetite, weight improvement. Thanks!

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:12 am

When I would give it to my old Dressage gelding my yearling in the next stall would damn near mug me for what ever was left in the tube! Since I work with ott horses and maiden broodmares I put them all on it as soon as they hit my care!if anyone would like the before and after pics of a mare I recently bought you will be amazed what this stuff did in just a few weeks! Getting ready to start another one on it today! Will get more before and after shots as well.
Fins to the Left....

ageecee
Breeder's Cup Contender

Postby ageecee » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:32 pm

Is this stuff an ulcer medication? What exactly does it do?

TBHorseNut
Suckling

Succeed

Postby TBHorseNut » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:21 am

Ageecee:

Succeed is sold as a feed supplement for horses and, as such, cannot make any drug claims (i.e. prevent, treat or cure any disease or condition). I happen to know a bit about this…as I’m in the field of their regulatory/government affairs!

Here’s how I can explain it the way I understand it. Sorry for the novel!!! :shock:

As a long-time horseman, you understand that the natural diet of a free-range horse is a combination of grasses, herbs and bark, and it grazes 16-22 hours. Horses’ digestive systems are not made to handle intermittent feeding and use of high-energy diets. We all can visualize the horse that bolts down grain or pellets in a few minutes (seconds for SOME!!). It is TOTALLY unnatural, and causes the horse to miss out on the first key part of good nutrition, i.e. chewing thoroughly. Did you know that the natural horse makes about 5 gallons of saliva per day??

Today, we necessarily stall our horses (especially performance horses in training), feed high concentrate feeds and often provide limited hay: it’s like feeding children on candy bars, with similar effects. Just as important, these high energy feeds, when bolted down by a hungry horse with an empty stomach, rush through the digestive system and can end up in the hind gut undigested: there, they are fermented and lead to excess lactic acid rather than the volatile fatty acids the horse needs to absorb for nutrition. Here is your source of colonic ulceration and, in strictly my OWN opinion, a major source of colic.

Succeed forms a gel that slows down the rate of transition though the digestive system and also has been shown to be a boost to the immune system. The special yeast (killed) balances the digestive flora and provides nutrients unavailable otherwise. By the way, this is why the old horsemen fed brewers grains, the by-product from brewing beer! It also has two amino acids to help with digestive mucous production.

It modifies the rate of absorption of feed so it lessens the “sugar-high” effect—that’s why some people on the board are saying it changed their horse’s temperament. Some people say it’s expensive—well, so’s the vet. And I don’t know about you…but I’ve found that you get what you pay for when it comes to supplements. You may save a few bucks going a cheaper route, but they don’t work and you end up paying more in the end. My TB’s have never looked better.

Hope that helps. :P

TBHorseNut

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:04 am

Yeah what she said...all I know is this stuff works...WELL. Our newest track mare had started to clean up her grain, is happy toalso clean up her hay and is looking wonderful. Her coat was a bit dull and fuzzy. She was wormed twice and started on Succeed paste. I have found the dry form is not eaten as well and at least if I cram it in their yap chances are they are going to eat most of it (unless I end up eating it) But with the pastes I have yet had a horse refuse to take it. My yearling loves the stuff! :)
Fins to the Left....

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:40 am

My pal who is a trainer at Churchill uses Succeed and swears by it, says it takes a while but gets them performing better. He won the trainer's title again at River Downs this past meet, and is contention for Owner and Trainer titles at Churchill this meet, and broke the record at CD winning 10 in a row so I will take his word for it.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

TBHorseNut
Suckling

Postby TBHorseNut » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:04 am

TBLADY wrote:Yeah what she said...all I know is this stuff works...

LOL! :lol: I DID warn y'all about my "sermon."

Seriously, ESPECIALLY with TB's that get so upset so easily, live a life the LEAST healthy, train the hardest, are subjected to a ton of injuries, medications, and supplements...we GOTTA give back to them. Succeed is a PREbiotic that helps THEM restore themselves. In this age of modern horsekeeping, Succeed helps keep the natural balance!

TBHorseNut
Suckling

Postby TBHorseNut » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:13 am

madelyn wrote:My pal who is a trainer at Churchill uses Succeed and swears by it, says it takes a while but gets them performing better. He won the trainer's title again at River Downs this past meet, and is contention for Owner and Trainer titles at Churchill this meet, and broke the record at CD winning 10 in a row so I will take his word for it.

I'm not surprised, Madelyn. The reason it takes longer is because it WORKS. It's a genuine conditioning program for your horse's HEALTH....not a quick-fix.

I have a 17.1 5 year old TB that used to look like a coat rack. Dull eyes, dull coat, ribby, etc. It took a FULL 90 days but once you see it "kicked in," look out! There was no going back. It was an all-over BLOOM. On another horse, it took a week and she was off and running. It all depends on the horse. My yearling colt looks FABULOUS and his dam looks like she's never foaled. :D

Oh, and one other thing, when you DO stop giving Succeed, your horse DOES regress. It's not immediate...it's usually 1.5 to 2 weeks and you begin to notice changes and regression. So when my bucket runs low, I panic. :shock: Running out of Succeed is like running low on hay to me now.

TBHorseNut

thorohorse
Weanling

Postby thorohorse » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:18 am

Micro-Vet...... have used it for years
Sometimes the simplest thing can make all the difference.