Stall Height?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Stall Height?

Postby Heidilady » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:02 pm

Every barn plan I look at has optimal stall suggestions as far as width and length (I'm shooting for 12 x 14 I think) but I have no idea how much height's high enough for a TB. Could anybody give me a range perhaps like minimum to the ideal? I'd like some room to maneuver with the design as I have a loft to figure out after this. Many thanks.

yukidragon
Starters Handicap

Postby yukidragon » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:03 am

plan enough height for your horse to rear up in the door way without hitting there head if they get spooked.
been there done that.

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:06 am

Yeah I kind of assumed that but not all horses are the same height and I won't know what horse I'm getting til I get approved to adopt so who knows how high that is. I have no idea how tall a TB is when they rear. Any actual numbers out there? I already know the general concept of how to figure it out but since I don't regularly measure horse lengths and I can't tailor it to a specific TB I'm kinda at a loss. Can't build a barn with fuzzy math.

madelyn

Stall height

Postby madelyn » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:22 am

Our stall doors are 8ft tall, 4ft wide, and the stalls are 10ft tall. They are perfectly adequate and leave space between joists to hang fluorescent light fixture, plus a fan in the corner... one thing the builder did was to put two switches outside each stall, one for each outlet in the ceiling of the stall so the fans and lights are on separate switches throughout the barn. Saves electricity, plus who wants a fan on in January?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Heidilady
Eclipse Champion

Postby Heidilady » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:01 am

Thanks Madelyn! My dad aka "master carpenter" haha will love hearing those measurements. He was definitely hoping 10ft would be ok so if it works for you I bet he'll happily try it for us. :D

WarHorse
Starters Handicap

Postby WarHorse » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:46 am

I second the 10'. Horses get really tall when they rear!
And thou fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse. - The Qur'an