shits

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

onalimb
Allowance Winner

shits

Postby onalimb » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:49 pm

my foal has had the runs, he got it when I ran out of first cutting hay for a couple days and he was fed only second cutting (to rich) he is back on first cutting and it is getting better but what can I feed him to speed up the process to normal poop again.
onalimb

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:04 pm

Feed him roughage carrots, apples and kale, and give him some flax oil over that mix.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

Maureen
Allowance Winner

foal runs

Postby Maureen » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:06 pm

Pepto-Bismal

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:51 am

I get the huge bottles of Kaolin from the farm store (for animal use) and use a 30cc syringe to give about 20cc orally. Works great and really cheap, plus peppermint flavored. Costs about $6 a quart.

Louis, silly, hay is roughage... the runs in this case are not due to lack of roughage. It is too high protein content causing it.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

marg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby marg » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:16 am

I second Pepmo bismal.Marg

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:11 pm

try probiotics (fastrack or probios) to get his gut flora back in the proper balance

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:01 am

I use the Ketolin and also Plain Yogurt. Some of the probiotics are meant for horses who are older and have already established a digestive flora...even though the packaging may state otherwise. Yogurt makes a nice probiotic for babies.
Also HYDRATION! If need be use a syringe and drench!
Fins to the Left....

marg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby marg » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:41 am

Hi,Dilute the Dettol if you are putting it on a skin rash-------not too much though.Careful about mixing different products,you don't want to get a chemical reaction.Read my original post ----instructions are there.Good luck Marg.

marg
Maiden Special Weight

Postby marg » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:41 am

Sorry ,I put my last post on the wrong thread.It was suppose to be under mane and tails rubbing.Marg

TBHorseNut
Suckling

Postby TBHorseNut » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:24 am

Onalimb, try SUCCEEED!!! Ever hear of it? I gave it to my colt (and dam by the way) and they both look FABULOUS!!! Never ANYthing but nice, perfect manure. Succeed is a PREbiotic that allows a horse to correct itself. We've gotten SO many folks that have said loose manure is a thing of the past! It's especially good for the "little guys and girls."

It has a special (killed) yeast that helps rid the digestive tract of bad bacteria in the hindgut. It slows digestion by creating a hydrogel in the digestive tract and coats the digestive tract with these things called polar lipids in imported oat oil. These lipids are water AND oil soluble.

So what, you say? What does that do for me, you say? It means that any feed or supplements you give your horse are more bioavailable--they can use it better. That's why a lot of folks cut BACK their horse's feed on Succeed. It means that feed doesn't bolt through the system and cause potential problems in the COLON!

Sorry for the "commercial" guys...but I just love this stuff. It's done wonders on my farm and for the TB's I love. :wink:

TBHorseNut
Quality TB prospects for sale; realistic prices. www.tbhorsenut.com

onalimb
Allowance Winner

Postby onalimb » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:59 am

thanks
onalimb

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:28 am

SUCCEED sounds alot like Fastrack. Does anyone have an ingredient list? Fastrack has both live and killed yeast, prebiotics and probiotics and the gel is awesome for foals. I have seen a difference in a horse with diarrhea within 4 hours of giving 8cc of the gel.

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:23 am

I have used both Fasttrack and Succeed...so far I'm seeing a better result with the Succeed then I ever did with the fasttrack. But then I'm sure there are horses who have better results with the fast track over Succeed...depends on the animal.
Fins to the Left....

TBHorseNut
Suckling

Postby TBHorseNut » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:17 pm

Gerry:

Ingredients for SUCCEED:

Oats (Sweden), Oat oil (Sweden), mannan-oligosaccharides (special killed yeast), threonine (amino acid), l-glutamine (amino-acid, nick-named "gut food), Guar gum (for consistency).

TBLady:

You're seeing a change with Succeed over Fastrack because Succed is a PRE-biotic and Fastrack is a PRO-biotic. Prebiotics help the horse help itself for a NORMAL digestive tract.

TBHorseNut
Quality TB prospects for sale; realistic prices. www.tbhorsenut.com

lee
Weanling

loose

Postby lee » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:48 pm

make sure he's wormed and then try Digest-it by Vapco. I've had very good luck with it. Also had good luck with Bio sponge by Platinum Performance if you think it's possibly bacterial. Good luck , Lee