respiratory problems/pharyngitis history-now a real shocker

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

respiratory problems/pharyngitis history-now a real shocker

Postby zinn21 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:43 pm

I previously posted regarding respiratory problems. the filly scoped on 6-28-05 perfect. A few days later I was informed by the farm manager she was off behind. sent out a vet who observed her presenting lack of coordination behind. blood taken and tested for EPM and West Nile Virus. Both came back negative. Two weeks later and she presents the same-no better or worse. The thought is she either has wobblers syndrome or trauma to brain/neck/spine. She shows no physical evidence of trauma we could find. She is now confined to a stall, hand walked 10 minutes twice a day and taking a steroid based anti inflammatory.

This filly went from completely sound of limb, racing three times this spring, turned out only to allow mother nature to clear her airway, to present condition virtually overnight. Does anyone have a similar experience? The plan is to xray if no improvement noted in next few weeks. Any suggestions??

Gerry
Grade II Winner

Postby Gerry » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:00 am

Zinn..please keep us posted with what you do or do not find from your tests. I have a 4yr old colt...was fine in all aspects until about a week ago (he did cast him upside down about 2 weeks ago) but last week he started walking very stiff, has troubles making corners so much so that he is taking them very wide. When you place your hand on his flank you can feel the muscles quivering. We have been putting him out in the round pen each night and he seems noticably better in the morning but its summer so he comes in during the day. I have a chiropractor scheduled for early next week and will let you know the outcome. Have you consulted with a chiro or massage therapist just incase she has something pinched?

madelyn

Mysterious illnesses

Postby madelyn » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:24 am

Two years ago I lost a weanling colt to something that sounds like what your horse is going through... I took his body to Lexington (Animal Disease Control Center) and they autopsied. He had an unidentified parasite in his brain stem... they said they would see if they ever got another one.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:48 am

Zinn21.... PLEASE use a chiropractor!!! I do spinal manipulation...can't call myself a chiro because I am not a vet. I have seen many cases like yours. Most vets are not into this yet and cannot identify problems. It may take more then one adjustment but will certainly be worth it!!!

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:47 pm

update-I contacted several equine chiropractors on Pembroke's suggestion and had one work on her on tuesday the 26th. I waited until today to go out and check her. I met with the farm manager who had assisted the chiropractor and he felt she was at least 50% better today-so good news. This was actually the first time I had seen her since the occurance. she seemed to have some control of her rear legs but did drag her rear feet slightly. I am looking forward to talking with the ranch forman who is currently on vacation for his opinion. He knows her better than anyone since he raised her. I have rescheduled the chiropractor for another session early next week. She is also on Dexasone a steroidal anti inflammatory that could be the reason for her improvement. She started the treatment about 5 days prior to chiropractor manipulation. Finally I have scheduled her for xrays in early August and will only cancel the appointment if she returns to complete physical dexterity prior.