leg skunge....?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:51 pm

Ryeno wrote:Cook up a pound of Bacon,eat the bacon and use the grease left over in the pan (after it cools) and put it on the legs.

What!?!
Are you serious...

Tucumcari
Chef de Race: Brilliant

Postby Tucumcari » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:56 pm

Also try to clip as much of the hair as you can. clean it up with castile(sp) soap and DRY it thorouhly with a towel. Keep it as dry as you can. AND try some panalog ointment, and or monistat (yeast infection) cream... works like a charm

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:37 am

You mentioned Novalsan. Have you used the surgical scrub? It's blue liquid, and make sure you get the surgical scrub for animals, not for sterilizing surfaces.
This is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Our horses get that during the summer down here. We call it rain rot, but seems like every area of the country has a different name for it.
It is a fungus they get when their coat gets wet and dirty and stays that way, but it is also contagious and can be passed from horse to horse via brushes, saddle pads, etc. It usually starts on their hind legs, then can move up to their rump and so on... If it's the same thing we get, it's waxy and the scabs peel off with the hair. I've seen horses almost bald because it got so bad... it hurts, too.
You have to use the surgical scrub like a shampoo, scrubbing all the affected areas, and LEAVE it on for about 15 min. before rinsing it off. Some horses are bothered by it and you have to rinse it off earlier, but you have to PEEL OFF ALL THE SCABS while you wait. That's the trick, because if the scabs don't come off, the fungus is still there. Sometimes you can't get all the scabs off at once, so you have to repeat it a couple of times. You also have to wash (with bleach) all your brushes, pads and anything else that came into contact with the funk.
It's very common here in the south; I know a lot of horses who have the perma-funk on their back legs all the time, but I'm convinced it's because they haven't tried the Novalsan surgical scrub. It works for me every time.

jumper77
Maiden Special Weight

Postby jumper77 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:43 am

An added thought...
If your horse says ouch, the scabs aren't ready to come off. Just peel off the ones that come off easily. Fingernails are good for this. It's a gross tedious thing, depending on how bad you have it. If you peel and your horse dances and gives you the evil eye, this is when you have to do multiple treatments.

Rushtawin
Allowance Winner

Postby Rushtawin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:04 pm

Boric acid solution (0.5M solution) ought to clear up any fungal infection. Additionally, it's antiseptic and antibacterial... commonly used in eye washes or ear rinses. I'm not sure if it will work, but it ought to,, theoretically. That stuff is amazing...
"The best things in life are worth waiting for"

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:59 am

I give them a "nolvalsan rinse" with the disinfectant. I use three tablespoons in a gallon of water and wet them down with a hose to get them soaked and then finish with spongeing the nolvalsan on them and leaving it on. I don't pick the scabs off. Then every day after that I use a weaker solution on just the affected areas. Stops it from spreading immediately. As it heals underneath, the scabs wil lift off as they separate from the skin. In the winter, I skip the hosing part (for obvious reasons) and just treat the lesions. I've also stopped using shampoo on any of my horses except for very rare occasions. It strips the natural protective oils from their skin. They get hosed down pretty much daily in the summer and groomed regularly and this is the first year I've had any rain rot in 4 years and just had 2 horses with a couple spots. Told a friend of mine about that down in Florida who had been having tons of trouble with it and when she stopped shampooing them she cut her rainrot victims by 75%. FWIW

Inyureye
Allowance Winner

Postby Inyureye » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:46 am

I'm not familiar with Novalsan - what is it/where get it?
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Kristie
Maiden Special Weight

Postby Kristie » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:15 am

It's a disinfectant, comes in a gallon jug. You can order it from most of the supply catalogs and most of the tack shops carry it. There's nolvalsan solution, nolvalsan shampoo and nolvalsan creme. I use all 3 at some time or another. Love the product.

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:49 pm

Two words for you: Muck Itch.
It is the best kept secret for getting rid up that leg crap.
My filly got it on her legs....tried baby oil....nothing.....tried MTG....nothing....but the Muck Itch...LOVE it. Smells good (tea tree oil) and you don't have to rub it in. Just spray it on once a day for five days. Scabs and ick will wipe right off. Now if I see a spot starting I spritz and and it goes away. It does help though if you can clip the area too. I'll never go back to anything else. It's the BEST!

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:36 am

Jen.. where do you get Muck Itch?
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Jenarby
Allowance Winner

Postby Jenarby » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:24 am

I ordered it online because noone around here carries it.

http://www.saddleuptack.com/webcat/items/item498.htm

You could probably find it at other websites with a search, that's how I found it.
It's priceier than other treatments but it works.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:40 am

pembroke wrote:Go to a dollar store and buy generic baby diaper rash medicine..otherwise known as Desitin. The generic stuff is sooo much cheaper. What you are dealing with is a version of mud fever. This stuff thrives on dampness....is caused by bacteria in the soil. The idea here is that keeping the legs dry will kill off the stuff. Put that diaper ointment on religiously, every day if need be and keep using it for a couple of weeks after the stuff drys up. Watch the backs of your horse heels, as it can spread to that area. We had no problems this year because of the drought. Then it rained and rained and rained and.....and now it's back !!Have used this method for about 10 years. Having a tack shop gives me axcess to all the stuff on the market that supposedly works. Now I just keep a couple of tubes of this on the shelf. Last year, Cowboy Magic came out with a product called Crud Buster..it works fairly well. We have also noticed that our horses with socks and pink skin get it way more then those without socks.

Sorry, to revive this old thread but I have a filly who keeps getting a fungal, crusty rash under and in back of her chest (she has a very large chest) where the Martingale rubbed on her, when she was being broken. [Between the Cranial Superficial Pectoral Muscle and the Caudal Deep Pectoral Muscle areas of her skin/coat).

We keep bringing her in from the paddock and putting her in a stall for about a week, while they wash her daily and put some anti-fungal cream on it. But, it never goes completely away and she seems to have truly sensitive and prone to infection skin. To top it off, she is constantly scratching it by mounting the feed tubs and rubbing back and forth...much like a bear in the woods on a tree :wink: , so I'm sure she keeps the problem alive and crusty by constantly scratching it and creating scabs.

Would this be a similar malady that Desitin (or the generic stuff) would work on?

I've also been told Tinactin or Desinex (some Athlete's Foot remedies) also work. Getting the barn help to use it might be *interesting* though. :roll:

Thanks.
BJ
Last edited by BJ on Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BJ
Horse of the Year

Postby BJ » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:47 am

Jenarby wrote:I ordered it online because noone around here carries it.

http://www.saddleuptack.com/webcat/items/item498.htm

You could probably find it at other websites with a search, that's how I found it.
It's priceier than other treatments but it works.

Oops...just read this too. :oops: Will see if that is what they've been using at the barn. Looks familiar.

Anyone used both methods (Desitin and Muck-Itch) and gotten discernable results from one or the other?

Thanks again. Great thread.