leg skunge....?

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

leg skunge....?

Postby TBLADY » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:17 am

I have 2 horses with crap on their legs. rear canon bones. sticky, waxy, nasty stuff like you get when you don't get the sweat and dirt off at the track....but no matter what I have tried it won't go away!!!!

Have tries...Dawn detergent, just about ALL topical anti fungals in the tack shop, Witch Hazel, all horsey shampoos, Anti dandruff shapoos both equine and human..HELP!

I have also scrubbed the areas with curries, sponges, my finger nails, loofa sponges...you name it to debride this stuff off.

Any ideas?
Fins to the Left....

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:13 am

Try furazone sweats for a few days and that should take care of it.
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:14 am

Cook up a pound of Bacon,eat the bacon and use the grease left over in the pan (after it cools) and put it on the legs.
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:50 am

Something like tree sap? Take a wad of cotton dabbed in gasoline, rub off the stuff and then wash the gas off with Dawn.
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

Karie
Grade III Winner

Postby Karie » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:54 am

My stud gets it too on the front of his rear cannon bones.. Can never get rid of it.. NASTY NASTY stuff.
Furazone Sweats have helped in the past but never got rid if it totally..

madelyn

Postby madelyn » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:04 am

Actually, another thought, are the horses male? If so, try sheath cleaner on the stuff on those back legs (guess where that could be coming from...)
So Run for the Roses, as fast as you can.....

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:54 pm

Go to a dollar store and buy generic baby diaper rash medicine..otherwise known as Desitin. The generic stuff is sooo much cheaper. What you are dealing with is a version of mud fever. This stuff thrives on dampness....is caused by bacteria in the soil. The idea here is that keeping the legs dry will kill off the stuff. Put that diaper ointment on religiously, every day if need be and keep using it for a couple of weeks after the stuff drys up. Watch the backs of your horse heels, as it can spread to that area. We had no problems this year because of the drought. Then it rained and rained and rained and.....and now it's back !!Have used this method for about 10 years. Having a tack shop gives me axcess to all the stuff on the market that supposedly works. Now I just keep a couple of tubes of this on the shelf. Last year, Cowboy Magic came out with a product called Crud Buster..it works fairly well. We have also noticed that our horses with socks and pink skin get it way more then those without socks.

Intrinsic Worth
Starters Handicap

Postby Intrinsic Worth » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:18 pm

using animalintex poultice works very good as well
All men are equal on the turf - or under it.

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:13 am

Tried the smegma cleaner...didn't work. Tried the diaper rash treatment NADA! Tried Dawn....and no to the bacon idea...but I am hungry. I haven't tried Animalintex and I have a roll of it here too.
Fins to the Left....

Ryeno
Allowance Winner

Postby Ryeno » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:58 am

Hey TBLAdy

Dont knock the bacon grease theory until you try it.Ive used it on scurf and it works well.If you want to try something else i have used for different skin irritations on the legs mix blueing,polysporin and vaseline and stir it up until it is like a gel and then put that on the affected area.

Ryeno
"The easiest way to end up with a million dollars in the horseracing business is to start with 3 million!"

skeenan
Grade I Winner

Postby skeenan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:55 am

madelyn wrote:Actually, another thought, are the horses male? If so, try sheath cleaner on the stuff on those back legs (guess where that could be coming from...)

Bell has a small patch on her back leg, size of a half-dollar... been trying to rid her of it too... glad someone wrote a post about it! :D

I felt guilty, like maybe I have poor grooming skills... :oops: but no amount of attention makes it entirely go away...

kezeli
Allowance Winner

Postby kezeli » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:18 am

Has anybody tried nolvasan cream? I've always loved that stuff, great for cracked heels as well!! But you have to apply it than wash it off the next day with bland soap and re-apply when dry.

TBLADY
Starters Handicap

Postby TBLADY » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:24 am

yep...I have several jars of the Novasan...greta stuff but it didn't even make a dent in this stuff.

I am a firm beliver in Sugar-dine (sugar iodine mix) for just about any wound needing to fill in with tissue. (works well on granulated areas as well.) But not a good mix for leg SKUNG
Fins to the Left....

mschwartz
Newborn

leg skunge

Postby mschwartz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi,
I used tar shampoo (for dogs) on my almost all white paint mare when she got it - gross! Put the shampoo on wet legs, let it sit there for 5 minutes minimum, spray off, then gently use your fingernails or a soft curry and scrape it off. The legs may/will look rough for a few days but the hair comes back quickly. After you get it cleaned off, keep legs clean and dry. Each time you groom, make sure you curry, that will keep it from building up.
NOTE: If the skunge builds up too much, it ends up taking hair off in chunks with globs of the skunge attached.

Good luck!
Michelle
"Nothing is worth more than this day" Goethe

Inyureye
Allowance Winner

Postby Inyureye » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:43 am

Yech. And nobody knows what this is. Now that you mention it, I've seen this often. Blech.
Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.