Valerian

Veterinary, horse care, and training issues.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster, madelyn

Jean
Allowance Winner

Valerian

Postby Jean » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:25 am

Have a yearling filly going to sales that is great to work around except for when a stranger comes around which is not real helpful at a sale. She totally loses it and is scared to death of anyone new. WE were thinking of feeding her valerian and were wondering what amounts and if anyone has had any luck with it.

pembroke
Allowance Winner

Postby pembroke » Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:07 pm

You can buy liquid valarian sold by Equine America, in tack shops. It comes in a bottle that premeasures the dose. I have not used valarian myself, but sell alot to our customers. You might also try using lavendar. Most herbal shops should carry it in a bottle. Use it by rubbing a drop or two between her nostrils and on her ears. Massage it in well. Maybe it is the "scent" of strangers that bothers her. In that case the lavendar should work well.

KamiBrooks
Starters Handicap

Postby KamiBrooks » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:02 pm

You might do an internet search for "Bach Flower Remedies" and "Rescue Remedy" and read about that. My local GNC carries Rescue Remedy at the same price as on-line places.

I've seen it help when an extremely fearful horse (terrified of people) who had to be loaded onto a trailer. Many people on the internet seem to have had success with animals afraid of lightening, etc...

It takes about 20 minutes to have an effect and seems to have more dramatic results with animals that are having a strong fear reaction.

If you do try it, it would be interesting to know if it seemed to have any effect.

Kami

StealingKat
Allowance Winner

Postby StealingKat » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:01 pm

Jean,
Try Edge Calmer, it is a solid gold product. Works like a charm!!!!!(and it is available in Canada.(how odd...) Most pet food stores carry it if not let me know if you can't find it.
Always bet on the grey!!

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:32 pm

The dosage for Valerian is 2 OZ powder in the AM and 2 in the PM. I would only give her the 2 0Z in the AM before the sale as the PM dose would make her relax too much.

Mix the V in her feed and add honey or molasses.
Those without sin cast the first stone.
Louis Finochio

TBHorseNut
Suckling

Postby TBHorseNut » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:14 am

Louis:

If you have the valerian liquid extract, do you know the dosage for that?

Thanks,

TBHorseNut :D
Quality TB prospects for sale; realistic prices. www.tbhorsenut.com

louis finochio
Darley line

Postby louis finochio » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:57 pm

No I dont know the dosage for the extract, as I always use the powder.
Ask your vet and he will know.
Those without sin cast the first stone.

Louis Finochio